Wine's Project Leader Has Given A Blessing To The Wayland Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Even Alexandre admits that Wayland must have had a compositor part of the specification/API but perhaps Phoronix experts among Wayland fans know better.
    perhaps windows shill birdie shouldn't put his words into alexandre mouth

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
      He's exaggerating.
      and it's easy to see how: currently wine does win32x, subj will do win32wayland, there's no place for xwayland in the picture(i.e. it would be stupid to do win32x->xwayland when you could do win32wayland directly)

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        Wayland has issues with it actually being able to do what Wine needs
        wayland has no such issues. you have issues with understanding wayland

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          perhaps windows shill birdie shouldn't put his words into alexandre mouth
          Yeah, but he didn't.
          Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          wayland has no such issues. you have issues with understanding wayland
          Looks like it does since Alexandre pointed them out.

Not other people's problem you can't read.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            The current developer of wine wayland backend is not limit self to only wayland protocols. It already has a prototype screen capture using xdg-portal.
            That doesn't say anything about it being upstreamed with it...

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
            This one get tricky when you look at how windows handles low dpi applicaitons on high dpi screens it scales them and the positions the low dpi application on windows thinks it has is not real either. The position on screen under windows a application has may be virtual number not a real position starting with windows Vista. That makes wine life a lot simpler. Like if screen mode does not match what application wants wayland wine does not change screen mode just scales application instead.
            This is wrong. Nobody gives a shit about high DPI and it has nothing to do with what you said. The scaling on Windows is for non-hiDPI aware apps (in their manifest), but it's not about their position it's about their size, obviously, and not about display mode changes.

And Proton has the fullscreen hack anyway, which does exactly this, for X11. It works but it's still a "hack". So clearly, you can do it with X11, because it already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Wine Window management on X11 was a broken mess anyways. It mapped okayish well to the old style Windows Display Server, but that is not the case for Windows since Vista.
              The only thing that will not be possible under a wayland driver would be to allow the application to choose where it is positioned on the display, but that is a issue anyways.

As Wine gaming becomes more important, a proper modern low latency output with good frame control is important. Xorg and Xwayland are just way too bad for that.
              Windows window handling on Windows was always (and probably still is) a broken mess. I remember one of the veteran game developers talking about it, and after watching Handmade Hero-s episode on creating a window it's... X11 is not great, but it's still better then windows (and more stable then 98/xp, that was the last i used).

Comment

I wouldn't call that a 'blessing' . More like a : ''I am not opposed,but there gonna be hiccups, so feel free to bang your head against it'

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  This is wrong. Nobody gives a shit about high DPI and it has nothing to do with what you said. The scaling on Windows is for non-hiDPI aware apps (in their manifest), but it's not about their position it's about their size, obviously, and not about display mode changes.
                  Weasel you need to look closer you have 200x200 pixel window scaled up to 400x400 pixel for Hidpi under windows when that application places a pop up on that window at 20x20 from the window conner where is it in that right 40x40 pixels . Position processing is in fact proxy on those non-hiDPI applications on a hiDPI screen. You now have relative placement not absolute placement in the Windows API.

Relative placement is the wayland standard. Yes look in the right section of the Windows implementation you find relative placement.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  And Proton has the fullscreen hack anyway, which does exactly this, for X11. It works but it's still a "hack". So clearly, you can do it with X11, because it already exists.
                  The funny part is Proton full screen does not work right and never will. Valve started gamescope that is Wayland based because the wayland built in scaling is part of it the other part is the fact Wayland sandboxed. Why that proton full screen hack go wrong opengl/vulkan games can by ABI under X11 can see that the buffer they have is not the screen. Part of the providing functional scaling of buffers to applications requires the sandboxing that applications don't find out they are being fibbed to.

Yes weasel windows for non-HiDPI applications on HiDPI screen have a compositor sandbox as well. The non-hiDPI on hiDPI screen on windows starts looking a lot like wayland.

Proton has a hack that does not in fact work right and end up needing to modify games so it works right.

Comment

Funny enough, my old Thinkpad T540p runs best using wayland. But occasionally I play a simple but addictive game (Transcendence) that requires wine.
                    When running with wine under wayland everything works except.... the keyboard (which is essential once playing) preventing almost everything including ending the game (when running full screen). So working wayland support in wine might save me the hassle of logging out of my wayland session and starting an x session to play this game.

Comment

Why not just use SDL?

Comment

Working...
                      X