Chrome Moving To A 4-Week Release Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    I love it when my spyware and keyloggers are on a tight release schedule. Makes me feel loved.
    Let's be honest, you just like it tight.

Comment

What we see here is the drawback of Agile and Scrum specifically. For what release frequency is Agile/Scrum still relevant?
      How much is too much? They can develop on a sprint schedule, but they don't have to release after every sprint...
      It's getting to a point where it's becoming a stereotype of itself. Every new half feature is good enough for pushing a release.

That's why I'll always prefer Lean over Agile.

Comment

Originally posted by fazalmajid View Post
        Moving to an artificially compressed release schedule is precisely why Mac OS X has become a cesspool of buggy releases.
        ...and also losing their competent engineers by pushing idiotic woke politics instead of meritocracy.

Comment

If only they moved to a YEAR.WEEK_OF_YEAR versioning scheme...

Comment

Time for Firefox do the same.

Comment

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think I would've been as excited about html5 if I knew this would be the outcome.

We were sold on killing flash and silverlight with the bonus of some canvas tech demos. We compromised by allowing DRM extensions for the browser. Now the browser is much bigger to compensate for added functionality and javascript performance needs. We have heavy webapps in and out of the browser encouraged because it's standard functionality rather than relying on a plugin. You can't even fully block autoplay videos the way you could force plugins to be click-to-play. With WebExtensions, we run javascript to prevent other javascript from running.

No other piece of desktop software commits itself to this kind of release schedule. It used to be 6 months of only bugfixes from your distro and an external repo for people who want bleeding edge, and now it's a flatpak/snap because it's not really worth trying to package that kind of moving target otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
                It used to be 6 months of only bugfixes from your distro and an external repo for people who want bleeding edge, and now it's a flatpak/snap because it's not really worth trying to package that kind of moving target otherwise.
                People still get mad at Debian for packaging only Firefox ESR for stable releases.

Comment

Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
                  encouraged because it's standard functionality
                  Standard in name only. There are only 2 vendors left in the game in any meaningful way. The others are almost completely reliant on Chromium and whatever direction Google chooses to take it.

We've been swindled by Google into helping them with their power grab. The "modern" web is a scam and an anti-pattern.
                  Last edited by 60Hz; 05 March 2021, 02:54 AM.

Comment

firefox will answer with incrementing version number by 2 on every release

Comment

Originally posted by 60Hz View Post

...and also losing their competent engineers by pushing idiotic woke politics instead of meritocracy.
                      There never was "meritocracy", and there will never be if there's a white patriarchy standing in it's way, hence why the latter needs to be torn down. Only then can there be true meritocracy.

Comment

Working...
                      X