Chrome 89 vs. Firefox 86 Performance Benchmarks On AMD Ryzen + Ubuntu Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Totally. Edge is by far the best Chromium-based browser available with the sanest UI as well and has earned a permanent place in my computer as a backup browser if things go wrong with FF or upstream Chromium.

Opera and Vivaldi stripped out the "--app=<URL>" from their Chromium core for reasons nobody will ever know. And they also have the most convoluted UI and settings page.
    --app= still works fine in Vivaldi for me. Maybe you should check your installation.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Well, I do.
      On mobile phone difference is noticeable, though.

Comment

Lynx ftw! It was good then, it's good now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I sure as hell know what was fixed, because I reported that bug and tested the patch for the developer who fixed it.

I just refuse to share information about it. Linux users are supposed to be intelligent enough to read source code, and resourceful enough to find answers for everything, no? Go search for it yourself.
          Uhh, did I miss something?

Why would anyone here care what bug got fixed?

That's the point of every release, to fix bugs.... Not exactly a surprise that they did that in version 90 and 91 too. It will happen again in 92.

Comment

I hate to say it, but for streaming, MS edge is extremely responsive on linux. I don't know what the magic is, but it's like running on a local plex box for netflix, prime video, etc. No screen crawling at all.

Comment

I've containerized everything in Firefox. So Google has its own cozy container, so has my social media, etc.
              I gladly pay the price of not being able to sit with my stopwatch watching pages load to brag about the speed.
              For the rest, I really can't complain about the speed. Firefox is fast enough for my needs.

Comment

what are the usability tolerances for these tests? are real-world users likely to notice any difference?

Comment

When will Chromium support vaapi acceleration on Wayland? Without that is a no-go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by increasechief View Post
                    what are the usability tolerances for these tests? are real-world users likely to notice any difference?
                    Yes, you just need to use "wrong" sites with Firefox. From top of my head: Atlassian JIRA boards, MS Office 365 online components, Google Drive/Docs/Spreadsheet or even Youtube or Reddit can be rendering slowly.

Basically, every page which is really JS-heavy makes Firefox choke. Chrome's V8 engine has always been miles ahead of SpiderMonkey in terms of real world performance.

Comment

The only thing I really miss is the hardware acceleration in Firefox. Just try the Fish html5 renderer test and Chromium/Chrome can render a few thousand, a few times more than Firefox can. Besides that, Firefox is really snappy, very rarely I see it lag or slow down.

Comment

Working...
                      X