Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 89 Released With Various New Web APIs Deemed Stable

Phoronix: Chrome 89 Released With Various New Web APIs Deemed Stable

Chrome 89 is out today as the latest stable version of Google's web browser. With Chrome 89 various new APis are deemed stable including WebHID, WebNFC, and Web Serial...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would exchange all those new crap for decent Wayland support and hardware video acceleration enabled by default.

Comment

Wouldn't it be nice if all devices could play back videos with ease and without using cpu? Sounds like science fiction but more than 15 years ago I had this working across everything including the sony psp.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I would exchange all those new crap for decent Wayland support and hardware video acceleration enabled by default.
        I tested the beta build last weekend and much to my surprise I got it to work with the official build from Google under X11 after enabling the feature in about:flags (I also enabled hardware rasterization). It is not the default yet, but this is FAR better than not having the option AT ALL for YEARS. Fingers crossed, 2021 might be THE year for h.264 hardware accelerated decoding on the Linux desktop (for Chrome).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I tested the beta build last weekend and much to my surprise I got it to work with the official build from Google under X11 after enabling the feature in about:flags (I also enabled hardware rasterization). It is not the default yet, but this is FAR better than not having the option AT ALL for YEARS. Fingers crossed, 2021 might be THE year for h.264 hardware accelerated decoding on the Linux desktop (for Chrome).
          It has been working for me since version 87 or 88. I believe I saw it hiccup in one system (maybe a Ryzen3400g?), but it works. And BTW, is much more easy to activate in it than Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Well, the problem is that harware acceleration and Wayland support are Linux-only issues, while all that "new crap" is relevant also for the other 99% of the desktops

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

the hw video decode is working well with intel h264 h265 vp9

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the hw video decode is working well with intel h264 h265 vp9
                Right, and it does so for years. The problem was that Google refused to take the VAAPI patches upstream and only some distributions integrated and maintained them in their downstream builds. Hence most people were left in the dust until very recently to get hw video decode in Chrome at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Well, the problem is that harware acceleration and Wayland support are Linux-only issues, while all that "new crap" is relevant also for the other 99% of the desktops
                  I bet you that of those 99% people using Chrome, 98.99999999999% never heard of those extensions and don't care about them. Those are pet projects of Google engineers.

Comment

"Web Serial"? Does that mean I can run a Telex terminal emulator in my Chrome browser and have it send AT commands to my Hayes 14.4 V.42BIS modem?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X