Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zrythm DAW Sees New Release And Should Have "Almost No Crashes"

Phoronix: Zrythm DAW Sees New Release And Should Have "Almost No Crashes"

Zrythm 1.0.0-alpha.12.0.1 released this week as the interesting open-source, GTK-based digital audio workstation that has been moving closer to a 1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I paid for a one-time full version, and there's no generic midi-controller support so basically useless for me. I don't see any mention of it anywhere, so I am guessing it's not even being worked on (which is a shame).

The midi keyboard I use is supported by generic driver, and it "just works" on Renoise, Bitwig Studio, Carla and others. Carla supports it when using "jack with ALSA-midi" enabled - but the frankensteined version of Carla included with Zrythm lacks such basic a feature

Comment

[QUOTE=digitalsin;n1241619]I paid for a one-time full version, and there's no generic midi-controller support so basically useless for me. I don't see any mention of it anywhere, so I am guessing it's not even being worked on (which is a shame).

So you're saying my USB MIDI keyboard just won't work? (I've been using LMMS and wouldn't mind looking at alternatives.)

Comment

May have to give this one a try. Could be interesting for sound design fun.

Comment

I want to give my sincerest appreciation for the compiling instruction, very detailed and clear on how and what to do, it's like you don't want to discourage anyone from building this from source.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post
            I paid for a one-time full version, and there's no generic midi-controller support so basically useless for me. I don't see any mention of it anywhere, so I am guessing it's not even being worked on (which is a shame).

The midi keyboard I use is supported by generic driver, and it "just works" on Renoise, Bitwig Studio, Carla and others. Carla supports it when using "jack with ALSA-midi" enabled - but the frankensteined version of Carla included with Zrythm lacks such basic a feature
            Maybe ask on the Discourse or IRC? The developer is quite active there.

Comment

- crashing less
              - brings PulseAudio support

Um.. is this a product for the professional audience? Why would they want to support PulseAudio? Why not Jack or Pipewire?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                - crashing less

Um.. is this a product for the professional audience? Why would they want to support PulseAudio? Why not Jack or Pipewire?
                Jack support is already built-in, and if it has jack (or pulse) it already has Pipewire.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  - crashing less

This was actually my own external contribution. Zrythm still defaults to JACK (which can be directed to Pipewire with pw-jack of course), but I figured having Pulse support would make it easier for a new user to play around with things without having to set up JACK first, as latency isn't great but is still "workable" at least.

Comment

Working...
                  X