Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Rolling Out New CLI Tools, Many Crash Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Rolling Out New CLI Tools, Many Crash Fixes

KDE developers have been wrapping up February with a number of new command line tools being worked on for applying various cosmetic changes to the desktop. There have also been many crash fixes addressed in recent days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just like all roads lead to Rome, all codepaths lead to KDE crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      You seem to be full of hate.

(Even though it is true KDE feels like a minefield at times)

Comment

Afair the Wayland session hasn't crashed for me with 5.21 (or git-master) so far, while plasmashell is still quite crashy.

Comment

The latest releases of Plasma seem lighter on resources, also KWin. But KWin isn't neutral yet, compared to other WMs. For what reasons every input activity (I suppose and/or other reasons) should pass throu KWin?

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
            It may sound strange to you, but I have been using Plasma 5.21 since beta and have never crashed in the Xorg session. Indeed in this release I noticed that they have fixed some small bugs from the past. This does not mean that the bugs were not there, it just means that if you use Plasma without upsetting it, you will hardly run into serious bugs, but Plasma allows an avalanche of customizations and there you can find bugs especially as soon as the main version is released. It is humanly impossible to test every single sometimes imaginative customization that users make.
            So what's the solution? The Gnome dictatorship that doesn't allow even the most mundane things? Sure that's easy to maintain, but then look at the extensions and their bugs. As for Wayland, it's still an experimental session.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
              The latest releases of Plasma seem lighter on resources, also KWin. But KWin isn't neutral yet, compared to other WMs. For what reasons every input activity (I suppose and/or other reasons) should pass throu KWin?
              Because KWin is the compositor........in a Wayland session, it takes the place of X and all input and display events pass through it. It's the ultimate controller of your GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
                On Wayland every input activity passes through the compositor, this is a security measure, Kwin is Plasma's compositor.

Comment

Originally posted by andreduartesp View Post

On Wayland every input activity passes through the compositor, this is a security measure, Kwin is Plasma's compositor.
                  Seems counterintuitive (to put it lightly). A compositor is a window manager, it has no business dealing with input. Or enforcing security. Its job is to present windows. I don't think the window managers in Windows or macOS need to deal with user input.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Seems counterintuitive (to put it lightly). A compositor is a window manager, it has no business dealing with input. Or enforcing security. Its job is to present windows. I don't think the window managers in Windows or macOS need to deal with user input.
                    I don't notice any input blocking issues with Plasma Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X