GNOME 40 Beta Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Even with it being the 14th iteration, it took me about 30 minutes of frustration and a few Google searches on how to do some actual stuff before stumbling upon and learning about the extensions system.
    i'm wondering what extensions were used in sending this comment

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      i'm wondering what extensions were used in sending this comment
      I have 15 installed on the laptop I've been writing with in this topic.

Now I'll bite your stupid little game and give you the 2 extensions I've actually used to answer:
      - Dash-to-dock - I scrolled on the Firefox icon to get back the window to an activate state (Firefox is always open on my computer)
      - Unite - Maximized Firefox window and gained vertical space to focus on what I'm doing, i.e. wasting 2 minutes of my time to reply to you.

I could give you at least 5 others that I can visualize while typing but I bit at your game and I am not actually using them to produce this comment.

Comment

I have 15 installed on the laptop I've been writing with in this topic.
        it doesn't mean they were helping you
        Now I'll bite your stupid little game and give you the 2 extensions I've actually used to answer:
        i'm not a native speaker so maybe my wording was wrong, but i was genuinely interested. maybe i'm missing on something
        - Dash-to-dock - I scrolled on the Firefox icon to get back the window to an activate state (Firefox is always open on my computer)
        it doesn't help in any way - i show panel with left hand press on windows button while i move mouse to it with right hand
        it actually slows things down a bit, because i have to hit border before it rises
        - Unite - Maximized Firefox window and gained vertical space to focus on what I'm doing, i.e. wasting 2 minutes of my time to reply to you.
        it doesn't seem to affect maximized firefox in any way except changing location of min/max buttons
        I could give you at least 5 others that I can visualize while typing but I bit at your game and I am not actually using them to produce this comment.
        ok, i sometimes do other things as well, i'm interested in most helpful usecase for you

Comment

pal666
          The problem is in the question.
          Posting on a forum has nothing to do with the desktop environment or even the operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Epiphany is permanently glued to the GTK3 and webkitgtk versions that a distribution ships with. Which is a huge no-go in my book.

Even Microsoft belatedly realized that something as important as a browser should be kept as separate from the base operating system components as much as possible when they went with Chromium-based Edge.
            Interesting. I wonder what you mean by that. Are you refererring to security updates, overall feature updates or UI toolkit principles?

For the first, I let bubblewrap sandboxing + regular flatpak update take care of it. However as of late I haven't been happy with it. The GNOME 3.38 flatpak runtime only ships webkitgtk 2.30.4 instead of 2.30.5 even though an advisory with a CVE has been released. Sigh . I might have to switch to the native fedora version.

As for the last 2 elements, I'm personally neutral towards. I don't mind the "Apple approach" of dumping features every once in a while and I actually like Epiphany's minimalist design though I perfectly understand if you dislike it.
            Last edited by kvuj; 28 February 2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              I dumped KDE for Gnome 3.0 already a decade ago and every time I try to reinstall KDE and see it out, it's such a miserable failure. Don't troll.
              I dumped Gnome for Windows 7, after Gnome 3.0 arrived. Gnome was back then quite big mess

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

This is how you realize when you are getting old: 'the wold is evolving, please stop'.

PS. Linux permits you to use the terminal that is perfectly usable without mouse/touchpad.
                Having a DE that can be navigated by keyboard alone is a basic ask not some request to stop innovating and changing things!

Originally posted by girdie View Post
                Can't say anything about MacOS - never used it.
                I just reinstalled a iMac and was damned to use the mouse for every thing or I could use voice control - shudder.
                The constant nagging for EULAs, Licenses and to enter a apple account was grating my nerves - I just want to reinstall, update the damn thing and restore the data, so that I can hand it back to my wife. Friendly to non technical users maybe but not to admins!

Comment

Working...
                X