GNOME 40 Beta Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    Let me know if they completely overhaul the entire interface.
    Until then, I'm not interested.
    gnome shell has.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
      Dumb question - is the "disable outdated extensions by default" refer to any extension that could be updated according to extensions.gnome.org? Or just extensions that aren't explicitly compatible with the current Gnome version?

And if I'm not interested in their default, do I have to dig through dconf-editor to turn that off?

Honestly I've got in a habit of ignoring gnome-* updates when a new version hits the Arch repos for 6-8 weeks (usually after the .1 packages come in) since the packagers barrel ahead without any regard to commonly used extensions like Dash-to-Panel, Arc Menu, etc.
      They stopped disabling outdated extensions a while ago as in practice they kept on working.

However this time around the changes have been bigger than usual It is not just a different layout, the plumbing has also changed, a layout manager etc introduced. There will be many cases where extensions inject their code into gnome shell will have changed. On this occasion it probably is best to disable outdated extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Yawn. That Gnome vs KDE is really getting old.
        Yeah, this is the Commodore 64 vs Sinclair ZX Spectrum kindergarten fight all over again. The Spectrum was better! :-D Now I own both, several models.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post

Yeah, this is the Commodore 64 vs Sinclair ZX Spectrum kindergarten fight all over again. The Spectrum was better! :-D Now I own both, several models.
          The Spectrum was better? Man, you must be one of those tastless KDE user as well

Comment

Have they improved their terrible android/macos user interface? what garbage...

a few years ago I complained that their virtual desktops should move horizontally and the devs refused to change... several years later they make the change and also make it the default... go figure...

maybe in 10 years they'll make it more like a real desktop user interface than an android/macos...

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              Have they improved their terrible android/macos user interface? what garbage...

a few years ago I complained that their virtual desktops should move horizontally and the devs refused to change... several years later they make the change and also make it the default... go figure...
              that's one of the changes that scares me the most, being used to vertical layout.

btw, what's the rationale to say that horizontal is better or worse than vertical, beside personal preference?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

They stopped disabling outdated extensions a while ago as in practice they kept on working.

However this time around the changes have been bigger than usual It is not just a different layout, the plumbing has also changed, a layout manager etc introduced. There will be many cases where extensions inject their code into gnome shell will have changed. On this occasion it probably is best to disable outdated extensions.
                Just to be clear, they claimed extensions would stop breaking several versions ago, and removed the version check on extensions that supposedly were going to continue working.
                But as an extension maintainer, I can guarantee you that in practice they very much continued to break every other version.
                Last edited by p91paul; 25 February 2021, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Exactly!!! The only proper winner in this war is Budgie!!!!

Gnome and KDE trolls who fight over a decade can start cry now.... ;P

Comment

Yes, but what editor do you use?

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post

Exactly!!! The only proper winner in this war is Budgie!!!!

Gnome and KDE trolls who fight over a decade can start cry now.... ;P
                      I was trying my yearly 'is KDE going to work well for me' attempt.. This time I did it with Garuda Linux, so I'm going to put most of my blame there, as I'm pretty sure KDE, the last time I used it, wasn't that bad! The dock kept crashing, video playback would pause, while audio would work in Firefox, etc. Kept crashing on me... finally gave up, went back to standard Arch+Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X