GNOME 40 Beta Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    However this time around the changes have been bigger than usual It is not just a different layout, the plumbing has also changed, a layout manager etc introduced. There will be many cases where extensions inject their code into gnome shell will have changed. On this occasion it probably is best to disable outdated extensions.
    How do you manage your workflow without those extensions in the meantime? Personally, I would take it the other way around, wait to upgrade until extensions have been updated so as to keep your most efficient workflow untouched to the best extent.
    I mean, if you don't rely on an extension, it's probably fine. But if you do, especially for the ones impacting UI such as Dash-to-panel, Dash-to-dock, Arc Menu, Unite, Multi monitors Add-on, Caffeine, User Themes, etc... it's probably a big part of your interaction with your computer and you'll be cautious not to update before you can keep on using them.

Regarding a layout manager, I haven't heard of that. Do you have a visual so that we can preview the choices that can be managed? It could be a good thing if it is implemented in the same way Ubuntu Budgie Dekstop layouts is.

Originally posted by cynic View Post

that's one of the changes that scares me the most, being used to vertical layout.

btw, what's the rationale to say that horizontal is better or worse than vertical, beside personal preference?
    It's just personal preference indeed.
    And that's what options are supposed to help with. A simple switch and everybody's happy. If only that was Gnome's habit.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Yawn. That Gnome vs KDE is really getting old.
      I think there's some sense of extension of self there. They need to believe they use "The Best" to justify their choice and feel confident about it. Insecurity much?

It's just ridiculous. There's no such thing as "the best". We are ± 8 billions humans, there are billions of products, beliefs, principles, and everyone thinks they use or bought "the best". That's trillions of "the best" possibilities.

KDE and Gnome have different workflows, different users target, different mindsets, different aesthetics. Each one will be better for someone depending on how he/she fares against these points. Which is why it's not a contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        I think there's some sense of extension of self there. They need to believe they use "The Best" to justify their choice and feel confident about it. Insecurity much?

It's just ridiculous. There's no such thing as "the best". We are ± 8 billions humans, there are billions of products, beliefs, principles, and everyone thinks they use or bought "the best". That's trillions of "the best" possibilities.

KDE and Gnome have different workflows, different users target, different mindsets, different aesthetics. Each one will be better for someone depending on how he/she fares against these points. Which is why it's not a contest.
        No, that is just wrong. Your preference is wrong, and mine is right. And I'm saying that even without knowing your preference, that is how confident/insecure I am about my preference. /s

Comment

To me the last good DE for Linux was KDE 3.5.10 and it's been all downhill since then. At the moment XFCE remains the only usable classic PC desktop for Linux.

Both Gnome and KDE contain tons of gimmicky smart devices oriented crap. E.g. gnome has long parted ways with standard menus and now offers three dot menus which are unusable without the mouse/touch{screen|pad}. Most Gnome applications have a ton of white/wasted space.

Lastly, a desktop PC DE must be usable without the mouse/touch{screen|pad}. Gnome =>3, KDE => 4 and Windows >= 8 are all complete failures in this regard. Can't say anything about MacOS - never used it.
          Last edited by birdie; 25 February 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            To me the last good DE for Linux was KDE 3.5.10 and it's been all downhill since then. At the moment XFCE remains the only usable classic PC desktop for Linux.
            Have you tried TDE?

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            Both Gnome and KDE contain tons of gimmicky smart devices oriented crap. E.g. gnome has long parted ways with standard menus and now offers three dot menus which are unusable without the mouse/touch screen. Most Gnome applications have a ton of white/wasted space. Lastly, a desktop PC DE must be usable without the mouse/touch screen. Gnome =>3, KDE => 4 and Windows >= 8 are all complete failures in this regard. Can't say anything about MacOS - never used it.
            Hamburger menu are abysmal on the desktop, but apparently the Gnome design team thinks that there is no difference between a 27" monitor and a 10" tablet...

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

gnome shell has.
              No, it still looks the same to me. I mean a totally different interface.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAccount View Post

No, that is just wrong. Your preference is wrong, and mine is right. And I'm saying that even without knowing your preference, that is how confident/insecure I am about my preference. /s
                Finally, a sane person in this thread. I don't care what your preference is... but you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

No, it still looks the same to me. I mean a totally different interface.
                  Like... typing with your mouse, moving the cursor with your keyboard and screen output via SMS?

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

I was trying my yearly 'is KDE going to work well for me' attempt.. This time I did it with Garuda Linux, so I'm going to put most of my blame there, as I'm pretty sure KDE, the last time I used it, wasn't that bad! The dock kept crashing, video playback would pause, while audio would work in Firefox, etc. Kept crashing on me... finally gave up, went back to standard Arch+Gnome.
                    Check Solus Budgie. It's perfectly balanced.

Comment

Imagine still using a GUI. I stick to my good old unix commands, mv rm cp ls work better than any bloated file manager

Comment

Working...
                      X