Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell + Mutter 40 Beta Released With Wayland Improvements, Overview Redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I am no one.
    people have strange view of linux gaming... AMD wins all benchmarks in linux phoronix.com benchmarks
    and people claim you can not do gaming with AMD cards.-.-.

some people have radeon7 run ethereum with ROCm and claim you can not do compute with AMD cards.
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

ok i buy the CUDA part... but games? last phoronix benchmarks show that AMD wind ALL benchmarks...

and ALL means really: ALL-.--..
      Unfortunately it's not just raw performance, but also features.
      DLSS 2.0, ray traycing, and nvenc are all strong selling points for gamers.
      ROCm on the other hand is just not as supported as CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
        the 6800/6900 has the hardware for AMD super resolution means AMD's version of DLSS2
        you will see it soon.
        you will soon see ray traycing work on 6800/6900XT to

AMD had shader based video encoding to

Comment

the 6800/6900 has the hardware for AMD super resolution means AMD's version of DLSS2
          you will see it soon.
          you will soon see ray traycing work on 6800/6900XT to

AMD had shader based video encoding to
          Having them doesn't mean they're on par with Nvidia counterparts...

On top of that, to make things worse, laptops with dedicated graphics ship Nvidia

Comment

DLSS 2.0 may not be a need feature for Linux users/Linux gamers. Gamescope with vulkan layers to allow custom per game up-scaling from Valve of course this does not work with Nvidia yet due to their broken drivers. Yes incompatible with the biggest commerical game distributor on Linux good going Nvidia.

Something to be aware of is how often in recent years a kernel update has resulted in CUDA under Linux not working. ROCm in some ways not as supported but when something works over the past 5 years its remained working though all the kernel updates under Linux no issue. There comes another problem here basically. Next CUDA can you in fact proper validate that it doing its maths right? Closed source is doubled sided problem.

Having them doesn't mean they're on par with Nvidia counterparts...

On top of that, to make things worse, laptops with dedicated graphics ship Nvidia
            This is also not 100 percent true any more. You do get laptops custom supply with AMD Radeon RX 6700M.

The reality hear if Nvidia is not going to provide proper Wayland compatible drivers going forwards. Linux users will have to walk away.

Also please note a lot of the high performance GPU usage in laptops is moving away from dedicated GPU in laptop to external GPU due to cooling issues. External GPU in a box is just a desktop GPU and simple to change.

Comment

they are selling points for nvidiots, not for gamers. nvenc has no relation to gaming and isn't better than competition, dlss is software upscaling for imbeciles, current raytracing is "pay to tank both fps and image quality"
              Last edited by pal666; 25 February 2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                they are selling points for nvidiots, not for gamers. nvenc has no relation to gaming and isn't better than competition, dlss is software upscaling for imbeciles, current raytracing is "pay to tank both fps and image quality"
                right... o really wonder why these people think nvenc is a gaming feature but maybe they play with VR headsets and using h265 codex to stream the video date from the pc to the VR headset.

people only need DLSS2/AMD super resolution because they tank their FPS and image quality with raytracing.

technology depent on each other...

VR headsets and Cloud gaming need h265/AV1 gpu encode to transmit it efficiently
                raytracing needs DLSS2/AMD super resolution because it totally tank your FPS.

Comment

right... o really wonder why these people think nvenc is a gaming feature but maybe they play with VR headsets and using h265 codex to stream the video date from the pc to the VR headset.

people only need DLSS2/AMD super resolution because they tank their FPS and image quality with raytracing.

technology depent on each other...

VR headsets and Cloud gaming need h265/AV1 gpu encode to transmit it efficiently
                  raytracing needs DLSS2/AMD super resolution because it totally tank your FPS.
                  Qaridarium if I am using gamescope. I am not needing AMD Super resolution.

SteamOS session compositing window manager. Contribute to ValveSoftware/gamescope development by creating an account on GitHub.

Using gamescope method its possible to be using a custom filter per application from valve that is for the game that is not dependant on what video card drivers I have installed other than not Nvidia at this stable.

Reality here if raytracing tanks my framerate and I have a AMD card and I am on Linux I don't need AMD super resolution to upscale the output of the game.

Why does game output scaling in the first place have to be a vendor unique thing there is no need for it to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    Sure, because gamers don't stream. Ping me when you get back to the Earth. You know, the planet with Twitch...
                    Yes, dlss2 it's software upscaling, but it's awesome and gamers use it.
                    I'd say you need a little reality check.

Also, you keep insulting people for no reason at all, but whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                      Next CUDA can you in fact proper validate that it doing its maths right? Closed source is doubled sided problem.
                      Can you?
                      I mean, maybe you can, but most of the times, the users of something do not fully understand the inner working of the something they use and work with.
                      You can drive a car without knowing how to fix it.

This is also not 100 percent true any more. You do get laptops custom supply with AMD Radeon RX 6700M.
                      I don't think it ever was 100%. Let's say the vast majority.
                      Also, last time I checked, average users don't buy custom laptops.

The reality hear if Nvidia is not going to provide proper Wayland compatible drivers going forwards. Linux users will have to walk away.
                      Some Linux users will move away from Nvidia, sure, but it's likely that way more users will move away from Linux.

Also please note a lot of the high performance GPU usage in laptops is moving away from dedicated GPU in laptop to external GPU due to cooling issues. External GPU in a box is just a desktop GPU and simple to change.
                      Like custom laptops, external gpus are not the norm.
                      Last edited by JackLilhammers; 26 February 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X