Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire 0.3.22 Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: PipeWire 0.3.22 Released With Many Improvements

With Fedora 34 aiming to use PipeWire by default for audio use-cases currently handled by PulseAudio and JACK, the Red Hat developers working on PipeWire remain very busy in addressing bugs and wiring up new functionality for this audio and video framework/server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

pipewire is worth using as a pulseaudio alternative alone. even using its pulseaudio server to handle legacy pulseaudio applications its worth it. a lot less latency and cpu usage.

Comment

I've switched to it on my laptop, as it doesn't have a receiver behind (which is always more touchy, for audio or video passthrough), and it's pretty seamless overall. Nothing like wayland.

The other day though I wanted to use my bluetooth earphones and it wouldn't appear. I had to restart the service, then they appeared and I could pair them. Yet, it still didn't actually work. I just wanted to test something, so no big deal for me as it isn't a usual use case.

But be aware not everything is just working yet.

I've had the update to 0.3.22 in Manjaro yesterday (CET), which was a bit of a hassle as there were conflicts between pipewire and pipewire-pulse over pipewire-pulse.conf ownership. I had to manually remove the file for pacman-yay-pamac to stop blocking the update. I will give another try to Bluetooth pairing with the new version.

Comment

Switched over to pipewire a few weeks ago and to my surprise my Bluetooth headphones (Sony WH-1000mx3), which never worked as an input device in pulse just worked, I suspect them being in HSP mode though since audio quality is subpar, I hope the HFP HF mode additions in this version fixes this.

All in all I'm surprised how flawlessly it blends in

Comment

is it just me that has problem with this crapwire on 7.1 system?
          my sound is playing in wrong channels on movies with mpv and kodi
          speaker-test seems to output the right channels although there is strange pause at the end of sounds on all channels except the left front channel.
          you can test this on 5.1 system too. just set pulseaudio to 7.1 and try a 7.1 test file.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Mez' You: “Red Hat and GNOME are dictatorships”

Also you: “I started to use Pipewire”
            Well, Pulseaudio was as well, wasn't it? And I switched to it immediately as well back then.
            I'm not complaining for the sake of complaining. When something is appealing and working as it should, I can recognize it and move on. Unfortunately it's far from being a habit with Red Hat driven projects.

PS: 666th post. It had to be against a troll like you. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              is it just me that has problem with this crapwire on 7.1 system?
              There's probably less users with such an audio setup testing it. Perhaps it'd be helpful if you relay your experience to the devs bug tracker if you're able to spare some time to report on it?

Comment

polarathene but they close the bug even though its not solved.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  polarathene but they close the bug even though its not solved.
                  link?

Comment

polarathene they just reopen it. it never occur to me that people mostly have 5.1 so probably devs never test it with 7.1. now after you mention this i've wrote my issue again and mention the 7.1 so they reopen it.
                    thank you for mentioning the chances of 7.1 system

Comment

Working...
                    X