No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No activities support in Wayland? I do wonder how many people use kde activities though. I only recently forced myself to use them as part of workflow. It's a somewhat logical evolution of multitasking, if not immediately intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

We at Fedora KDE-SIG are going to release F34 with Wayland enabled by default :-)

PS: in my humble opinion is not yet ready but... hey, it's a bleeding edge distro!
      GNOME Wayland wasn't ready either when it shipped by default. I'd wager the reason it's 99% usable now is because people were pushed into it and reported bugs, instead of simply switching back to Xorg (of course I'm exempting NVIDIA users).

Comment

I just gave it a try, and it's much better than 5.20. My multi-monitor setup now works great, but there are still issues: kickoff pops-up behind my sidebar (ok with X11, so the new version is not the issue) and krunner refuse to pop on the right screen (can't set a default screen and the "follow mouse" option has no effect on krunner under Wayland).

The main issue though is Firefox. It's unusable with XWayland (horrible glitches ; maybe due to the combination KWin+XWayland+GTK) and refuses to launch on Wayland (Falkon works great).

My conclusion is that there is still some work to do before Plasma being really Wayland-ready, but it's close to and already usable. I would not say the same of Firefox. Sticking to X11 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

GNOME Wayland wasn't ready either when it shipped by default. I'd wager the reason it's 99% usable now is because people were pushed into it and reported bugs, instead of simply switching back to Xorg (of course I'm exempting NVIDIA users).
          I have reported bugs, they aren't fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
            I just gave it a try, and it's much better than 5.20. My multi-monitor setup now works great, but there are still issues: kickoff pops-up behind my sidebar (ok with X11, so the new version is not the issue) and krunner refuse to pop on the right screen (can't set a default screen and the "follow mouse" option has no effect on krunner under Wayland).

The main issue though is Firefox. It's unusable with XWayland (horrible glitches ; maybe due to the combination KWin+XWayland+GTK) and refuses to launch on Wayland (Falkon works great).

My conclusion is that there is still some work to do before Plasma being really Wayland-ready, but it's close to and already usable. I would not say the same of Firefox. Sticking to X11 for now.
            Firefox works quite well on Plasma Wayland (environment variable MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1), but you should enable webrender as well. Without this there is a lot of flickering. But yes, this is actually on of the issues of Plasma Wayland, the out of the box experience is not the best and you need to know several workarounds.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Any example of you using it on desktop Linux?
              I reinstalled my private machine and the indexing of the content was off by default - will see what I can do for you tomorrow at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post
                We at Fedora KDE-SIG are going to release F34 with Wayland enabled by default :-)
                Hope you'll pick up the revived SDDM Wayland support: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1367

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                Yep... So if you know your users and what they like, and also all the risks, then it's a nice choice... Although i wouldn't consider such a liberal distro...
                Which risks? I've used Plasma Wayland throughout 2019 because weird bugs in the Realtek WiFi drivers in combination with Radeon drivers somehow caused by OS not to wake up from suspend when using X11 but Wayland worked, so I was kinda forced into it. Some things were a bit rough around the edges but there wasn't dataloss or anything actually risky about it. In 2019 bugs included: Native Qt Wayland apps all used the yellow Wayland icon in the task bar, the little icon next to the cursor not bouncing during app startup, clipboard history not working, Spactacle taking only fullscreen screenshots, etc. Things only got better since then. Maybe Activities aren't working. So what. Nobody used them anyway.

As long as the X11 session is still installed and switching session type takes only two mouse clicks in the login screen, there should be no problem. Same when Gnome switched.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                  Hear, hear! Not only bugs don't get fixed, they don't even get acknowledged. For months.
                  On 5.21, somehow they manage to break log out on Wayland. Instead of log out, I get a crash report for every app I have open. Also, when I tried to change the window decorations (control panel said "oxygen", though they really looked like breeze), the screen went all black with weird mouse pointers all over the place.
                  Last edited by bug77; 18 February 2021, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Are you talking about Plasma/KDE in general? I gave up on reporting bugs to them when any report slightly opinionated (but still civil) would be labeled as a "rant" and closed. Not acknowledging reports is... progress I guess, at least they stay there.

Comment

Originally posted by skierpage View Post
                      I use Baloo to find files based on content. I get a lot of proposals and financial information in PDFs. baloosearch lets me find relevant documents across e-mails, textual files, and PDFs.

I've also used Dolphin's image search options a few times which I think are backed by Baloo.

Someone asked about Baloo's time to index. It took a few hours on my 250 GB SSD, the last time I rebuilt the index.
                      AFAIK these indexers don't perform any miracle OCR on PDFs. You can easily grep stuff in many cases by running pdftotext + grep. You can even parallelize that. For example, my system can grep around 1 GB in 4 seconds. I'm not totally against the idea of indexing, but these tools often perform badly and introduce a constant background load when doing heavy lifting with files. The indexes might also be quite large, especially if you have terabytes of data and forget to exclude some unimportant files. At least, I'd prefer to have a more directed approach. I usually know quite well where to look for the data. Sure, organizing your stuff requires some effort, but I've mastered a good strategy during the many years working with legacy systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X