No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried installing KDE, but this baloo extractor seems quite busy doing some heavy lifting in the background. I wonder how long it takes to index less than 100 GB.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      I tried installing KDE, but this baloo extractor seems quite busy doing some heavy lifting in the background. I wonder how long it takes to index less than 100 GB.
      Usually disable that with balooctl disable. My file system is organized so I don’t need search though.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

They're giving you a lesson in quantum physics: If you try to measure the CPU, then you irrevocably change it!
        In the model of quantum physics of Ksysguard the irrevocable change in the measurement error is less than 2%.

Comment

Fantastic ! lI am testing it on Tumbleweed from the factory repositories and find it a really great and nice update.
          I use Wayland when I'm not working and there are significant improvements, sometimes I forget I'm on wayland, however I think it will take a while for it to be set by default. But I am confident that in the next version some edges will be smoothed.
          I remember Ubuntu's latest Lts with Gnome still uses Xorg by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

We at Fedora KDE-SIG are going to release F34 with Wayland enabled by default :-)

PS: in my humble opinion is not yet ready but... hey, it's a bleeding edge distro!
            I'm on Fedora KDE, been using nothing but Wayland since the 5.21 beta came out and haven't needed to drop back to Xorg, its by no means perfect but nothing I couldn't work around (mostly by forcing problem apps to launch under Xwayland). My only reason to drop back to xorg is SteamVR

Comment

Originally posted by Riotvan View Post
              Usually disable that with balooctl disable. My file system is organized so I don’t need search though.
              I always wondered what kind of people use baloo - what type of garbage case that must be to need a file indexer to find your stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Damnshock View Post

We at Fedora KDE-SIG are going to release F34 with Wayland enabled by default :-)

PS: in my humble opinion is not yet ready but... hey, it's a bleeding edge distro!
                Does that include for nvidia users? I thought that presently isn't that great of an experience on Wayland (but might change in future with that DMA-BUF work?)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm not sad, it will still be better than 5.20 on X. I just don't get why Michael always needs to make it about Wayland first.
                  Because Wayland sessions are becoming the default while X11 and most compositor level development happening for it is mostly maintenance related these days.
                  X11 sessions are going to stick around for quite a while even with XWayland being a thing, but there's pretty much no new features being added, not on Wayland-ready compositors/DEs anyway.

Comment

Just saw the video.... while the idea was cool for presenting it went a bit too far/long, that aside the sequences themselves with the components falling into place would look much better with some faster and overlayed sequences, probably with some adjustments to the animation curves?

Camera transforms was another part that seemed to add friction to viewing the content. Finally at the end, the weird slow zoom/scale effect was not nice. At the very least handle the text separately (full size, and if you must a different transition that isn't in lockstep with that scaling graphic beside it).

Composing those animations with all the little components is cool and kudos to whomever worked on that, if you read this just consider the feedback here for next time

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Does that include for nvidia users? I thought that presently isn't that great of an experience on Wayland (but might change in future with that DMA-BUF work?)
                      Yes (as far I am aware)

Comment

Working...
                      X