KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

The use case for a file indexer isn't to find files, it's to find stuff in files.
    A indexer helps if you get send a lot of files with names equally descriptive as the missing subject of the mail it came in
    Any example of you using it on desktop Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I have not needed SDDM for years. I start plasma from a TTY with /usr/bin/startplasmacompositor and it's fine.

I launch them applications from the terminal or from a shell script with GDK_DPI_SCALE=<int> for those.

I don't know how you or your distribution built Plasma and Kwin_wayland, but I'm on Debian with its old Plasma / Kwin_wayland 5.14.5 and I can launch Chromium wayland instances perfectly fine. Only Firefox Wayland can't run because it apparently requires something that 5.14.5 does not provide.
      If you ever get it working auto launching into your user session with systemd let me know

I wonder what's up that that doesn't work out of the box

I think chromium isn't launching because it's looking for GTK Wayland which isn't running, there's lots messages printed to stdout including errors about my DRM being too old for modifiers (despite it being the latest git)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Any example of you using it [Baloo] on desktop Linux?
        I use Baloo to find files based on content. I get a lot of proposals and financial information in PDFs. baloosearch lets me find relevant documents across e-mails, textual files, and PDFs.

I've also used Dolphin's image search options a few times which I think are backed by Baloo.

locate to search for file names and ripgrep to search text remain my go-to search tools, but Baloo is worth it to me. It took a few years in the early 2010s for it to get stable for me, but now it's fine.

Someone asked about Baloo's time to index. It took a few hours on my 250 GB SSD, the last time I rebuilt the index.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I think chromium isn't launching because it's looking for GTK Wayland which isn't running, there's lots messages printed to stdout including errors about my DRM being too old for modifiers (despite it being the latest git)
          It has got nothing to do with GTK because Debian's libs are definitely older than what you have.

Your Chromium build is either broken or something else in your KDE build is broken.

Comment

After five years of GNOME today I switch back to KDE.
            Is anyone have any issue with Wayland? put aside the minor glitches, Kdenlive doesn't start under Wayland.
            Last edited by Klassic Six; 17 February 2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riotvan View Post
              Usually disable that with balooctl disable. My file system is organized so I don’t need search though.
              I mean, sure, but how many years will it take to make it work properly? I think this hurts the end user experience, Plasma certainly feels very different when baloo is disabled.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
                After five years of GNOME today I switch back to KDE, my transition is finally complete!
                Is anyone have any issue with Wayland? put aside the minor glitches, Kdenlive doesn't start under Wayland.
                Those would the most prominent "minor glitches": https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Those would the most prominent "minor glitches": https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers
                  Holy sheet those will take 6-24 months to implement!
                  KDE Neon pushed Plasma 5.21 as an update and now I can say that the Wayland session is not good enough yet for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I like the new system monitor even though is not as user friendly and easy to understand as the one in Windows 8/10 and you cannot rearrange the panels, like putting the CPU meter first and second the memory meter.
                    On windows it takes dozens of seconds to display what's going on. Furthermore, windows system monitor is bloated and service tab is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

On windows it takes dozens of seconds to display what's going on. Furthermore, windows system monitor is bloated and service tab is worthless.
                      However it might be, I find it much more user friendly than any system monitor I have ever seen!
                      Also I like that it displays human-readable and logical quick info like how many sockets, how many cores and how many threads instead of something like:
                      8 x CPU name
                      On KDE Plasma, which is confusing as fuck.

Comment

Working...
                      X