KDE Plasma 5.21 Released With Better Wayland Support, Desktop Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Because it's the most important thing. For me.
    I'm still on Plasma 20.05 on X11 because Wayland is still glitchy and hopefully Plasma 21 will be my first move to Wayland by default.
    Waiting for KDE Neon with Plasma 21.
    Haven't you heard? KDE devs still consider Wayland support as experimental. Until they deem it ready, there's no point keeping your hopes up.

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
    best is when your distro ships it turned on by default... on that regard i trust my distro with choices like this...
    That's for n00bs, my distro is Arch. I tell my distro what's the default, not the other way around
    I really don't mind giving Wayland a try every now and then. Especially since I can determine it's still unusable in under 15 minutes and then I'm back to X.

Comment

I had high hopes, but they were dashed again

We still need SDDM - the start with systemd only isn't ready yet
      A hidpi wayland session seems to muck up anything that isn't Qt based, like Steam which is now double the side it should be, and the writting in firefox-wayland menu is half the size
      Chromium with wayland enabled refuses to start under Plasma Wayland at all (it does launch under Gnome)

It looks fab, and I'll be sticking with 5.21 X11 for now

I do hope they do some testing of hidpi configurations, especially switching between wayland and X11 - as I shouldn't be able to tell the difference

There's always at least something that isn't scaled properly

Gah, better luck next time

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Gah, better luck next time
        Disappointing news indeed .... not a fan of SDDM

Comment

Yeah!!! Finally the fifth-or-so rewrite of system settings dialog! I'm already counting the days to the next rewrite, I think it's what is needed for KDE to make progress.

Comment

I have not needed SDDM for years. I start plasma from a TTY with /usr/bin/startplasmacompositor and it's fine.

Steam which is now double the side it should be, and the writting in firefox-wayland menu is half the size
            I launch them applications from the terminal or from a shell script with GDK_DPI_SCALE=<int> for those.

Chromium with wayland enabled refuses to start under Plasma Wayland at all (it does launch under Gnome)
            I don't know how you or your distribution built Plasma and Kwin_wayland, but I'm on Debian with its old Plasma / Kwin_wayland 5.14.5 and I can launch Chromium wayland instances perfectly fine. Only Firefox Wayland can't run because it apparently requires something that 5.14.5 does not provide.

Comment

I always wondered what kind of people use baloo - what type of garbage case that must be to need a file indexer to find your stuff?
              It isn't just for the end-user, though. Other applications could build upon it and avoid having to implement their own crawlers and indexers. It also works to your benefit when your apps don't have to keep crawling your files over and over again simultaneously and maintaining separate databases, when one centralized service ought to be enough.

The real problem here is once again lack of unity between DEs. Gnome and KDE folks are insistent in their own inventions and it will only cause headache for the actual users. Only recently I discovered that Baloo is for an unknown reason active on my system, although I haven't logged in on KDE's side for ages -- because it keeps screwing up my Gnome configuration every time I do. (For example by force-enabling KDE-only system services that will execute no matter what DE I login to.)
              Last edited by curfew; 16 February 2021, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                That's for n00bs, my distro is Arch. I tell my distro what's the default, not the other way around
                That's for n00bs. Arch maintainers simply ship what the upstream guys tell them to. When Gnome decided to push Wayland-first, Arch just shipped it as-is. When KDE decides to push Wayland-first, Arch will just ship it as-is.

Comment

If you're using an Ubuntu derived distro this is a snap problem. I dealt with it by installing a .Deb from Debian directly. It is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    That's for n00bs. Arch maintainers simply ship what the upstream guys tell them to. When Gnome decided to push Wayland-first, Arch just shipped it as-is. When KDE decides to push Wayland-first, Arch will just ship it as-is.
                    Lol, tru dat.
                    But if you manage to install Arch, you can set a default with your eyes closed

Comment

I always wondered what kind of people use baloo - what type of garbage case that must be to need a file indexer to find your stuff?
                      The use case for a file indexer isn't to find files, it's to find stuff in files.
                      A indexer helps if you get send a lot of files with names equally descriptive as the missing subject of the mail it came in

Comment

Working...
                      X