Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Begins Landing PPC64 Code To Eventually Help With Windows Programs On POWER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Begins Landing PPC64 Code To Eventually Help With Windows Programs On POWER

Phoronix: Wine Begins Landing PPC64 Code To Eventually Help With Windows Programs On POWER

Going back about two years there has been work on properly supporting Wine on POWER 64-bit (PPC64). Now past the Wine 6.0 stable release, it looks like that work that work is finally beginning to land. In conjunction with Hangover to handle the cross-architecture aspect, the hope is to eventually allow Windows x86 programs to work on libre POWER systems or at the very least with native Winelib support to help in porting open-source Windows software to IBM POWER / OpenPOWER...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having had my own diversion into "because we can" variants of linux (kernel space in my case), I can't knock others doing similar things. But I wonder how much overlap there is between wine users (at a guess, 99% gamers?) and people who can justify buying Open Power ?

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
      Having had my own diversion into "because we can" variants of linux (kernel space in my case), I can't knock others doing similar things. But I wonder how much overlap there is between wine users (at a guess, 99% gamers?) and people who can justify buying Open Power ?
      Well in my case its not just because I can, its because I want a OpenSource Solution, and the most open that you can get in is trough Open Power..
      But in my case I am waiting for the best OpenSource hardware/Software project to date:
      This Laptop: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/cam...ng-prototypes/

Comment

Codeweavers will lose that train to. Many Arm and PPc vendors have or will have in the next 1-2 years powerful SoCs with good integrated Gpus to. Wile Apple's Rosetta has hit 75% efficiency, MS closes up and even some small companies using Bsd licensed code achieved 50% efficiency, Qemu is on the bottom. Really Valve should look upon this to wile should rethink a different Steam Mini Pc.

Comment

Given that I want to move to a more libre system in the near future this is awesome as it seems that a PPC64 system is my best bet at that. This and the Nouveau news have made my week.

Comment

Originally posted by zerothruster View Post
            There's a lot of productivity software (office apps, CAD, accounting, etc) that may prevent a businesses from making the switch away from Wintel. It makes sense for companies who want a piece of that pie to invest in making the transition as easy as possible for potential customers.

Comment

I think the old PS3 console was a PowerPC CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                I think the old PS3 console was a PowerPC CPU?
                Yeah, but it was an unconventional architecture, it was one main core that didn't even have out of order execution and 8 SPEs. You know the first gen piece of crap Atom N270 netbook processors? Well, imagine that at 6ghz and that surrounded by 8 100mhz i686 processors and that was pretty much the Intel equivalent PS3's CPU architecture. Don't get me wrong, it's interesting idea, but imagine the xbox 360 having 3 atom N270s at 6ghz, but with added AVX support. A bit easier to work with.

I have an RGH xbox 360 and the gaming experience is pretty good, I look at it and think this was better than the ultimate gaming PC of 2005, when it was released.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  [snip...]
                  But in my case I am waiting for the best OpenSource hardware/Software project to date:
                  This Laptop: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/cam...ng-prototypes/
                  Link is dead.

Comment

strange.....i was thinking that would be nice to have wine on arm and probably any other alternatives but after thinking for a bit i came to the conclusion of why bother? its better to have x86 if i still plan to use windows programs. there is always a case where wine just fail miserably and in that case i can go with windows without a problem

Comment

Working...
                    X