X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    Mez' i think this is the classic two parties "fight". I would consider myself one oft this guys thinking KDE is like Win95 ..but why ? Because I hear a lot of KDE users moaning GNOME is unusable. Due to its progressive nature. But I don't see any deep, bitter issues between both user bases. Of course the idea is ...what ever floats your boat.
    If you like KDE go ahead.
    Some of us are reacting this way because once gnome is mentioned in the headline KDE affines are coming over and deadlooping in essence " I hope they will not change too much...its already shitty"

..."KDE is like a microwaved Win95" is exactly the complementary counterargument and in my opinion a good funny way of answering the initial "toxic" argues.
    For me the biggest issue with GNOME and the GTK3 header bar is that they're burying all the utilitarian features I came to love about Linux behind extra clicks and menus for the sake of a clean interface. Because of that I feel like everything is hidden behind an extra click or three and that things take THAT much longer to do.

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied
    You are exactly right...it is about choice and what works best for the individual - whether Gnome, KDE, XFCE, CLI, or MyFavDEthatEverybodyShouldAdoptBecauseIfTheDoNotTh eyAre(InputAppropriateVulgarBodyFuntionOrBodyPart) . I have to use Windows at my job, so KDE simply works better for me because it is
    like a microwaved Win95.
    Although, in all fairness, Win95 (or even Windows 10) could not display different wallpapers on different monitors, it did not have anything close to Krunner, and it did not allow nearly the tweaks of the system with out third party applications or hacks.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

Well, I do like KDE and its versatility, but...

Guake
    Tilix
    Tilda

All these are GTK drop-down terminals, and there are probably more out there; even XFCE's terminal can do drop-down. It's not a KDE-only feature, rather the opposite I'd say: in the GTK world we actually have multiple options, unlike in the Qt world where it's pretty much Yakuake (at least that I know of). But of course, nothing says that a GTK terminal can't be used in a KDE/Qt environment.
    I've tried them all and none of them feel right to me. Out of the GTK ones XFCE's feels the best and is actually what got me into using drop down terminals to begin with. The XFCE terminal and Yakuake are both programs of their desktop environments whereas the others are 3rd party which explains my feels issues. Native applications almost always feel better than non-native applications.

When XFCE started adopting GTK3 Yakuake was THE program that got me to seriously consider staying with Plasma. What can I say - a Linux geek needs a good terminal and I found that in Yakuake.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Mez' i think this is the classic two parties "fight". I would consider myself one oft this guys thinking KDE is like Win95 ..but why ? Because I hear a lot of KDE users moaning GNOME is unusable. Due to its progressive nature. But I don't see any deep, bitter issues between both user bases. Of course the idea is ...what ever floats your boat.
    If you like KDE go ahead.
    Some of us are reacting this way because once gnome is mentioned in the headline KDE affines are coming over and deadlooping in essence " I hope they will not change too much...its already shitty"

..."KDE is like a microwaved Win95" is exactly the complementary counterargument and in my opinion a good funny way of answering the initial "toxic" argues.

Leave a comment:

• Nocifer
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    And they have Yakuake. Being able to F12 a terminal whenever is damn spiffy. Nothing in the GTK or GNOME world comes close.
    Well, I do like KDE and its versatility, but...

Guake
    Tilix
    Tilda

All these are GTK drop-down terminals, and there are probably more out there; even XFCE's terminal can do drop-down. It's not a KDE-only feature, rather the opposite I'd say: in the GTK world we actually have multiple options, unlike in the Qt world where it's pretty much Yakuake (at least that I know of). But of course, nothing says that a GTK terminal can't be used in a KDE/Qt environment.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Windows 95 did set a new desktop standard for millions of users. The introduction of the start menu, the desktop itself, the taskbar were new to millions of people and appreciated by many users. I would also say that Windows 95 UX and workflow was well better than windows 3.1.

But: KDE and others never really tried to go any further past that in my eyes. They kept the status quo auf Windows 95 to a huge degree. You need to have a taskbar, it's got to be there. You need to have desktop icons, it's got to be there. You've got to have a giant clunky launcher menu, it's got to be there. Do you think KDE or others did really advance their UX paradigms past that?

I personally happen to like many of the thoughts the gnome people had for gnome 3. I don't want any oldschool taskbar anymore, I like selecting window previews or alt tabbing. I don't want desktop icons back, because they're always hidden behind windows. There are some more UX shifts i like, so I use gnome 3. In my opinion gnome did go on to make things even better past windows 95 paradigms.

I don't think everybody needs to like gnome UX paradigms. I do, but others might and will think different. I think liking windows 95 workflow alikes is also ok. If you need your taskbar, your desktop icons, your application menu, go on. But I would also say that naming for example KDE or cinnamon a windows 95 like usability paradigm isn't wrong, that's just the way it is.
    That's not what I was being sarcastic about.
    In KDE, Budgie, Unity, Deepin, etc... You have such flexibility... Some of them can be adapted to many different layout styles, use cases, workflows, whether they are from the old Windows paradigm, the more recent Gnome Shell/Unity paradigm, or the user own paradigm.

Trying to belittle them as "the old Windows paradigm" is a simplistic attempt from a specific group of Gnome lovers to try to demonstrate that what they use is superior. Kind of the "I've got the biggest" challenge, except it's moot and the only winner here is the one who finds the workflow that fits him (in this male allegory).
    In the end, they only show how limited and incomplete their view is when doing so and way too often that's about the extent of their argumentation.

It's always the same simple argument coming back in an idiotic way. No nuances whatsoever. But it fits their single version of the truth in a twofold world. Gnome is superior, the other are all Windows 95-like. We're using the better DE. Yeah, yeah... Bigoted assumptions.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    gens No. Is it relevant anymore? People changed, technology changed, new learnings surfaced.
    When I have switched from Windows XP to my first Linux Distro (Suse 8.0) I have used KDE because it was way easier to switch for me. After a while I have had a Mac with OS X 10.3? which has introduced me to a startbuttion-less WM and the pleasure of multiple workspaces + active corners. Then I have switched back to Ubuntu 12.04 because of its simplicity. Unity was different to Mac. A bit strange too but I had to adopt and it had workspaces .
    Since then I switched to Gnome 3 and sometimes I have tried tilling managers like i3 or awesome but the UI was a tad too tile focused.
    Now I'm using PopOs (Gnome) with autotilling, stacks multiple workspaces
    ...it is just great especially with a lot of screens.
    I'm really looking forward to Gnome 40 and what System76 is creating on top of it.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 02 February 2021, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Shiba View Post

Because they don't. I really wonder why no one has the same complaint for Nate of KDE...
    Because KDE has enough customizations that we can setup our desktops however we like without needing to install umpteen plugins. If a person likes Win95, Win10, OSX, GNOME, and more, Plasma can be configured to look like it without losing handy features like a taskbar or systray. About the only thing Plasma isn't great at is acting like a tiling window manager.

And they have Yakuake. Being able to F12 a terminal whenever is damn spiffy. Nothing in the GTK or GNOME world comes close.

And KDE isn't known for doing major design changes for the sake of change nor does it feel like it was designed by a committee trying to merge OSX, Android, and OS/2.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

"If my desktop does not feel, look and work like microwaved Windows 95, I am not gonna be happy"
    made my day ...for me KDE is just a more or less a Windows UI remake.
    Like on windows, Users start to complain when the startbutton is rectangular instead of a bubble.

Once you have multiple monitors (4 in total) with different orientation and workspaces combined with PopOS Autotiling and stacking features - gnome is a pleasure.
    I don't know how I would make this much space usable in a Win 95 like WM.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 02 February 2021, 11:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mppix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    Everything that is not Gnome is a Windows 95 rehash, right?
    DEs that try to change and improve their paradigms risk alienating people.
    Some others don't and just try to support vast amounts of use case - imo often at the expense of being elegant or truly functional.
    Lucky us, Linux offers both.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X