GNOME 40 Approaches Its UI Freeze, Easy Means To Start Testing It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post

Cm'on man. This is over-generalizing by a mile. Some, if not many, like what Gnome devs are doing. Gnome is certainly not a rejected solution.
    .. and its perfectly fine if you don't; you got options.
    The analogy with Gnome devs stops at "confortable with". The rest is more generic to the implementation/new release of an app for operational users in the corporate world, it applies somehow to Gnome but I never wrote that Gnome is a rejected solution. I don't do that kind of generalization, especially if I have no data to back it up. All I ever wrote on that specific part was that Gnome is dividing users quite a bit and lead to furious debate. That's as far as I intend to go.
    Last edited by Mez'; 06 February 2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

What do you do when those customizations, as untested as they are, break your desktop?

GNOME: disable extension, restart session (if on Wayland)
      KDE: 1) go cry in a corner; 2) reset everything to default because you can't remember exactly what settings broke your system (which invariably leads to 1)
      On Gnome Xorg, disable extension, alt + f2 + r. Go on with the session.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        The analogy with Gnome devs stops at "confortable with". The rest is more generic to the implementation/new release of an app for operational users in the corporate world, it applies somehow to Gnome but I never wrote that Gnome is a rejected solution. I don't do that kind of generalization, especially if I have no data to back it up. All I ever wrote on that specific part was that Gnome is dividing users quite a bit and lead to furious debate. That's as far as I intend to go.
        I see; the other comment came off quite steep as it was in the context of gnome.
        Sure, Gnome UX can be divisive. They are trying to stand on their own feet. Doing that they are building a quality code-base that is used by enough spin-offs (as a whole or in pieces) to make pretty much everybody happy.

Comment

I see; the other comment came off quite steep as it was in the context of gnome.
          Sure, Gnome UX can be divisive. They are trying to stand on their own feet. Doing that they are building a quality code-base that is used by enough spin-offs (as a whole or in pieces) to make pretty much everybody happy.
          I'd say that a quality UX is more important than a quality code-base.
          And spin-offs/forks mean both good and bad things.
          The fact that Gnome requires extensions to achieve basic desktop functionality that 99% of the pc users just take for granted is bad UX.
          No design vision can justify the lack of standard features

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I'd say that a quality UX is more important than a quality code-base.
            And spin-offs/forks mean both good and bad things.
            The fact that Gnome requires extensions to achieve basic desktop functionality that 99% of the pc users just take for granted is bad UX.
            No design vision can justify the lack of standard features
            Browsers need extensions to meet functionality that 99% of users expect. Are they all bad?

Anyhow, I did not mean just DE. Gnome was one of the main driving forces to make Wayland a reality; xdg-desktop-portal is almost universally being accepted; and pipewire may actually bring a sane low-latency audio/video system to linux.

Comment

Browsers need extensions to meet functionality that 99% of users expect. Are they all bad?

Anyhow, I did not mean just DE. Gnome was one of the main driving forces to make Wayland a reality; xdg-desktop-portal is almost universally being accepted; and pipewire may actually bring a sane low-latency audio/video system to linux.
              I don't think a browser is an apt comparison, because for the most part they have stable apis. Shell extension developers had to deal with a lot of breakage as new shell versions were pushed. It's been some time since I last used gnome shell, so hopefully this isn't as big of a problem as it once was.

Comment

mppix
                "Browsers need extensions to meet functionality that 99% of users expect"

Where that number came from? From your imagination?

Comment

Respectfully, why care if you dislike Gnome in the first place?
                  They are unlikely to change paradigms for those that don't like them. They are certainly not going back to gnome classic or the like. They are just refining the design and vision and do -as far as I am concerned- a pretty good job.
                  Because, GNOME is the 'default' DE for linux. When major company developing apps for linux, what DE they're usually targeting or fallback to? Gnome. (Ex. Firefox. Chrome. Libreoffice. Java. SteamOS). Beside that, you know too how you feel when using non native apps. Inconsistencies in theme, layout, etc, and usually greater memory usage than when using native apps.

And when you became the 'face' of linux, you have the responsibilities to furfill that role, serving your users. Make something user friendly that 99% linux user can use. Or, make it flexible enough so the rest of user can use it comfortably.

Oh, and switch the 'default' DE for linux to KDE, or XFCE, or some other flexible, good DE. Then, none will care about Gnome except people that using or interested in it. Gnome can then became experimenting DE for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    On Gnome Xorg, disable extension, alt + f2 + r. Go on with the session.
                    I wish KDE or XFCE have something like this too. Other DE that I know beside Gnome that have this kind of function is enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                      mppix
                      "Browsers need extensions to meet functionality that 99% of users expect"

Where that number came from? From your imagination?
                      If you actually read the post, you'd have noted that it refers to JackLilhammers postulate that 99% of Gnome users need extensions.

Comment

Working...
                      X