Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 40 Approaches Its UI Freeze, Easy Means To Start Testing It

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNOME 40 Approaches Its UI Freeze, Easy Means To Start Testing It

    Phoronix: GNOME 40 Approaches Its UI Freeze, Easy Means To Start Testing It

    The user interface changes for GNOME 40 are quickly nearing the finish line with just two weeks to go until the UI freeze...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Freeze-Coming

  • #2
    And I thought from the title this was about actual freezing - not being able to operate the UI.
    Good to hear there is no such a major bug right before release...

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, I tried the VM and I have to say that I'm very disappointed to have to change my habits *again*.
      I used to love Gnome, now they're making me hating it.

      Comment


      • #4
        This is probs okay for ultra wide monitors, but other than that it sounds like "change for the sake of change".

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Testers, testers, tester, tester, tester!
          -also Ballmer

          Well the UI design and coding have been extremely open and already attracted a lot of feedback and testers. Of course there might be a few loud mouths complaining about “nobody listens”.
          Because they don't. I really wonder why no one has the same complaint for Nate of KDE...
          Last edited by Shiba; 02 February 2021, 04:42 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Testers, testers, tester, tester, tester!
            -also Ballmer

            Well the UI design and coding have been extremely open and already attracted a lot of feedback and testers. Of course there might be a few loud mouths complaining about “nobody listens”.
            With all due respect, since I usually appreciate your posts for the links they contain, get real.
            Making polls and acting on them might be an example of what it means to have an open design.
            Expecting non-techies or people with full time jobs to dabble on GitLab and make stupid mockups that will largely be ignored in a single, long page is not being open, it is giving the illusion of openness while being futile.
            This is extremely offensive towards people who depend on GNOME and e.g. use it in a professional environment, be it at work or at home.

            I hope the new design brings more people to GNU, but I doubt it will be successful in doing that. We know close to zero about the usability tests that have apparently been conducted with a handful of US citizens that are not representative of most markets worldwide. Completely opaque. They acted fast and furious based on those tests, and "discussions" on GitLab have revolved around the same core idea with little (and mostly stupid) changes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Shiba View Post

              Because they don't. I really wonder why no one has the same complaint for Nate of KDE...
              it's obvious that KDE is buggy, and everything is all over the place. the reason not much people complains about that (besides stating the obvious), because those people is using gnome. they are not whiny female dogs. they just want to get things done

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                chocolate So this comes down to democracy vs meritocracy. I’ve never seen a viable democratic open source project. There’s tons of good meritocratic open source projects.
                You know that meritocracy, especially in the open source world, is a joke, right?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I tried Gnome 3 twice over the years and both times I had an awful experience.
                  I expect the next Gnome to be the same or worse.
                  The only Gnome 3 that I liked was Cinnamon.
                  But even that seemed not enough and I moved to KDE Plasma a few years ago.
                  I can't believe I'm so happy about my desktop environment while I see others stumbling on weird designs and decisions.
                  But anyway, I hope Gnome users will be one day as happy as I am.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    I tried Gnome 3 twice over the years and both times I had an awful experience.
                    I expect the next Gnome to be the same or worse.
                    The only Gnome 3 that I liked was Cinnamon.
                    But even that seemed not enough and I moved to KDE Plasma a few years ago.
                    I can't believe I'm so happy about my desktop environment while I see others stumbling on weird designs and decisions.
                    But anyway, I hope Gnome users will be one day as happy as I am.
                    "If my desktop does not feel, look and work like microwaved Windows 95, I am not gonna be happy"

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X