No announcement yet.

Canonical Aiming For A New Desktop Installer With Ubuntu 21.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Canonical do not learn by their mistakes very well... Another path in total isolation, we should avoid G components that are created with mobile and browser in mind as much as we should totally avoid G products...

Comment

So first they went with GTK, then wanted to go Qt, then back to GTK and now Flutter?

Comment

I think this is good. Not sure why there's so many naysayers.

Comment

For fuck sake, they should first fix the installer first to not complain about EFI partitions when there's no UEFI because the computer doesn't have UEFI or because the user has not chosen an UEFI boot and fix the grub-install failing at the end of the installation for no good reason!

Second, the most important part of the installer in my opinion is the drive and partitions selection page and that should be completely redesigned.

Just display a tree-like structure with drives on the first level and partitions on the second like:
          Drive 1
          ....Partition 1
          ....Parition 2

Drive 2
          ....Partition 1
          ....Parition 2
          ....Parition 3

Instead of displaying 10 partitions all together with useless names like /dev/sdX and with the sizez in MiB instead of GiB
          For more user friendliness after the Drive # could be put in parentheses the name of the drive and location like;
          Drive 1 (SSD Samsung 512 GiB on /dev/sda)
          Drive 2 (HDD Seagate 4 TiB on /dev/sdb)

Faster speed drives should be put at the top as there is the most likey location where the user wants to install the OS and its programs like:
          Drive 1 (M.2 SSD....)
          Drive 2 (SATA SSD....)
          Drive 3 (SATA HDD...)
          And so on....

The bootloader drive should be selected automatically based on the partition(s) chosen to install the OS, but changeable by the user to another drive if he wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            So first they went with GTK, then wanted to go Qt, then back to GTK and now Flutter?
            If I had to guess, I'd say Flutter binds to GTK (and probably Qt if available) on Linux.

Comment

Why exactly is this needed? I agree with Danny3, the partitioning can certainly use some work. But why do they need to re-do the whole thing? And just how deep do Google's teeth go here? That raises a big red flag with me. The minute my OS starts connecting to Google servers will be the minute I find a new OS.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                leveraging Curtin and Subiquity efforts that went in to Ubuntu's new server installer
                So btrfs support will be broken for desktop too?
                I always use my system on two btrfs subvolumes: @ and @home. And it worked until 20.04 came out with no Debian installer but with new unusable subiquity one which is not creates btrfs subvolumes if I chose / as a mount point on btrfs. Instead of it says: "Mounting an existing filesystem at / is usually a bad idea, proceed only with caution" which is quite strange in my case. How should I install 20.04 on btrfs with two subvolumes?

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                why not just use calamares?
                Because in my opinion Calamares is barely usable: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=396554
                Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 01 February 2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

If I had to guess, I'd say Flutter binds to GTK (and probably Qt if available) on Linux.

Canonical enables Linux desktop app support with Flutter

The Ubuntu team has produced a new GTK+ based host for Flutter apps on all Linux distros

What you’ll get is a shiny new Linux app built with Flutter running on the latest stable version of GTK+. If you have an existing Flutter project to which you’d like to add Linux support after you have Linux enabled, you can add the linux subdirectory like so:

Comment

Yet another installer. Meh.

Installer for desktop, installer for touch-screen, installer for server, installer for mobile, installer for toaster...

How much precious engineer hours Canonical wants to waste on developing new installer projects every two years? Yet somehow they decided to exclude the most "standard" installer that Ubuntu inherited from Debian; debian-installer, which as a consequence has killed some well established features like net-boot and mini.iso installs. If interested in details check:

Removing debian-installer from groovy Currently lp copies up publications, even if package is removed. Thus prior to removal of d-i i'd like to publish it three times, as empty uploads. Such that when the package is removed it doesn't come-back, or like we can just keep it empty in the archive. Blocked until https://code.launchpad.net/~xnox/debian-cd/cd-boot-images-amd64/+merge/386094 is deployed

Netbooting the live server installer The process for network booting the live server installer – at least on systems that support PXE network boot – goes like this: The to-be-installed machine boots, and is directed to network boot. The DHCP/bootp server tells the machine where to get pxelinux.0. The machine’s firmware downloads pxelinux.0 over tftp and executes it. pxelinux.0 downloads configuration, also over tftp, telling it where to download the kernel, ramdisk and kernel command line to ...

As you are may already know I’m very disappointed about netboot mini.iso removal from Ubuntu 20.10 and (possible) upcoming releases. So I decided to ask community about their experience with mini.iso. Maybe I’m wrong and simply should forget about the fact that Ubuntu is the best derivative of Debian and other great facts about positive Ubuntu history. You use netboot mini.iso to install: poll

All these installer projects could have been just a bunch of fancy front-ends on top of already well established and widely used installers, such as debian-installer, but no, Canonical has to re-invent the wheel every now and then, never learning from things such as Mir.

Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                      why not just use calamares?
                      Probably because its horrible and based on proprietary sold software by a company who likes to threaten its community and fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X