Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

    Phoronix: Wine PPC64 Revived Again For Running Windows Programs On POWER CPUs

    Two years ago patches were posted in working on Wine support for IBM POWER / OpenPOWER hardware. The aim with that enablement has been to run Windows programs on POWER 64-bit hardware via Wine with the related "Hangover" project for handling the cross-architecture difference. The Wine patches for PPC64 have now been revived with hopes of mainlining them now that Wine 6.0 has passed...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2021-For-POWER

  • #2
    Very nice
    Still want to buy a ppc based desktop.
    Only thing missing - for me - is steam streaming.

    But with this i could at least use the win version of steam for that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by flower View Post
      Very nice
      Still want to buy a ppc based desktop.
      Only thing missing - for me - is steam streaming.

      But with this i could at least use the win version of steam for that.
      if you want to spend more money for something running less performant, ...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rene View Post

        if you want to spend more money for something running less performant, ...
        Performance is not my no. one concern.

        ​​​​​​I only care about raw performance on my gaming desktop. Which doesn't run anything else because closed source games are untrusted

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by flower View Post

          Performance is not my no. one concern.

          ​​​​​​I only care about raw performance on my gaming desktop. Which doesn't run anything else because closed source games are untrusted
          ...but you trust Steam, which has been known to do things like rifling through your DNS cache to check for evidence of cheat software, and which can't be sandboxed anywhere near as well as a game can because it's the downloader and DRM host?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

            ...but you trust Steam, which has been known to do things like rifling through your DNS cache to check for evidence of cheat software, and which can't be sandboxed anywhere near as well as a game can because it's the downloader and DRM host?
            it's not hard to sandbox steam?
            and yes i trust valve more than multiple random game developers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by flower View Post

              it's not hard to sandbox steam?
              and yes i trust valve more than multiple random game developers.
              I'm saying that sandboxing Steam is like sandboxing a VM, as opposed to sandboxing the individual applications inside the VM... and Steam expects network access. Some Steam games are single-player or couch co-op only, or you may have no plans to play them with network multiplayer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rene View Post

                if you want to spend more money for something running less performant, ...
                People have been doing that with Apple for years.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

                  People have been doing that with Apple for years.
                  lol, but that depends. But at least the M1 family of SoC has pretty good performance, ...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by flower View Post
                    Very nice
                    Still want to buy a ppc based desktop.
                    Only thing missing - for me - is steam streaming.

                    But with this i could at least use the win version of steam for that.
                    I am waiting for this laptop:
                    https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/cam...ng-prototypes/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X