Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 85.0 Now Available As First 2021 Release

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 85.0 Now Available As First 2021 Release

Mozilla Firefox 85.0 is available today as the open-source web browser's first major release of the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

yep, updated and tested in #t2sde even before this news entry, it still ships with the old Flash compatibility code gtk+2 glue though, that I still need to patch away :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwVoncZckN0

Comment

I'd like to know how to enable the full video hardware acceleration for Youtube and the like.

Comment

Using it already, as the stating Snap version update to it last night. Love that they have implemented network partitioning.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
          I'd like to know how to enable the full video hardware acceleration for Youtube and the like.
          Type "about:config" on the search bar. Search for "media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled" and "gfx.webrender.all", then set them both to "True". Close Firefox, then start it using the command "MOZ_X11_EGL=1 firefox". To make that permanent you can edit the launching command of the icon or menu entries in the desktop environment you use (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc). If your GPU does not have acceleration for the VP9 codec, install the "h264fy" extension.

All this will reduce CPU usage, but will not turn it to zero. Here it dropped from ~30% to ~10% on a i7 3770k. And that is in both Firefox and Chrome with acceleration enabled.

Comment

I use Firefox but I'm very worried with the state of the browser. Mitchell Baker is working hard to decrease the Firefox marketshare and end its brand.

Blink monopoly is almost complete.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
              I use Firefox but I'm very worried with the state of the browser. Mitchell Baker is working hard to decrease the Firefox marketshare and end its brand.

Blink monopoly is almost complete.
              Can you explain further ?

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
                Using it already, as the stating Snap version update to it last night.
                Same, just native on ArchLinux

Comment

I think eva is referring to mozilla actively banning wrongthink, per their blog, and sending AntiFa donations to burn down your cities.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Type "about:config" on the search bar. Search for "media.ffmpeg.vaapi.enabled" and "gfx.webrender.all", then set them both to "True". Close Firefox, then start it using the command "MOZ_X11_EGL=1 firefox". To make that permanent you can edit the launching command of the icon or menu entries in the desktop environment you use (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc). If your GPU does not have acceleration for the VP9 codec, install the "h264fy" extension.

All this will reduce CPU usage, but will not turn it to zero. Here it dropped from ~30% to ~10% on a i7 3770k. And that is in both Firefox and Chrome with acceleration enabled.
                    Yes, your how-to is right.

Comment

Working...
                    X