GNOME 40 Alpha Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pieman
    its coming from the same people who see blacklist and whitelist and think of black / white people... they're trying to find offensives in everything what's next, banning the phrase handyman? what about candy? its similar to handy. i understand wanting to make a better world, but there is such a thing as going to far. in this case, they have gone far enough they are actively looking for anything remotely offensive. making things not actually offensive, offensive for the sake of fighting against offensiveness.
    That's a bit of a straw man. It goes without saying that black has been equated with bad or evil and white equated with good or purity for quite a while now. The examples are endless - wedding dresses, black knight or white knight, deepest darkest africa, black list, white list, etc.. It has been quite common to use these tropes as racist dog whistles for centuries. All you need do is connect the dots. It's not about searching out things that may be offensive, but rather acknowledging obvious offensive/prejudicial tropes and appropriately dispatching them to the dustbin of history.
    Originally posted by pieman
    it would be awesome if ubuntu did switch over to kde. then maybe we could really get some traction going in improving qt support and help fix up the buggy mess that is kde.
    I wouldn't call it a buggy mess, but agree that adoption by ubuntu would obviously help in improving the product. More usage, more defects found, more people to assist in reporting and resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      gbcox So you “read something on the internet”? Of course Ubuntu is not moving to KDE.

Some of smartest Ubuntu developers like vanvugt doesn’t even pretend he knows basic things about kwin. Your average phoronix reader probably knows better of kwin than he does. One could claim it’s ignorance but frankly it comes down to relevancy.
      Well, I said "implied that Ubuntu would be better off"... I never said that Ubuntu is moving to KDE, or that I read an article saying that... I know nothing of vanvugt, but he isn't the only developer working on Ubuntu... and since Neon is based on Ubuntu, it wouldn't be that big of a reach... remember, they dumped unity because they didn't want to fund it, so they don't have that big of a bench anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        but you do get them from google. and without looking at you mail google will have to target average ads at you, so you should be thankful it reads your mail and tries to send relevant ads. otherwise you'll have to scroll through penis enlargement ads
        Valid point...although the Sophos UTM can block much of that. And since I only use my gmail to submit bug reports to KDE, when I do get ads, they are mostly about computer and linux stuff.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
          That's a bit of a straw man. It goes without saying that black has been equated with bad or evil and white equated with good or purity for quite a while now. The examples are endless - wedding dresses, black knight or white knight, deepest darkest africa, black list, white list, etc..
          If certain colors are seen as "bad" and you take wedding dresses as an example, than we might as well prepare for more renamings as a lot of colors are apparently bad when it comes to wedding dresses: https://www.almanac.com/content/why-...-dresses-white

I quote from the above link:
          "Married in White, you have chosen right
          Married in Grey, you will go far away
          Married in Black, you will wish yourself back,
          Married in Red, you will wish yourself dead,
          Married in Green, ashamed to be seen,
          Married in Blue, you will always be true,
          Married in Pearl, you will live in a whirl,
          Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow,
          Married in Brown, you will live in the town,
          Married in Pink, your spirit will sink."
          Last edited by Vistaus; 28 January 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If certain colors are seen as "bad" and you take wedding dresses as an example, than we might as well prepare for more app renamings as a lot of colors are apparently bad when it comes to wedding dresses: https://www.almanac.com/content/why-...-dresses-white

I quote from the above link:
            "Married in White, you have chosen right
            Married in Grey, you will go far away
            Married in Black, you will wish yourself back,
            Married in Red, you will wish yourself dead,
            Married in Green, ashamed to be seen,
            Married in Blue, you will always be true,
            Married in Pearl, you will live in a whirl,
            Married in Yellow, ashamed of your fellow,
            Married in Brown, you will live in the town,
            Married in Pink, your spirit will sink."
            When I married my wife, she was wearing cream (off white) because she had been divorced. We have been married for over 20 years (although, with all candor, I would not let her go to an eye doctor until we had been married for at least ten years ). That is not covered in your list. Why should you care?

Because one size fits all is irrelevant, inappropriate, and has nothing to do with reality. Stereotypes are so easy for the person who does not want to do the hard work of analysis and synthesis.

Very good point. There is right and wrong, but black and white disappeared in the 70s when color TV became the norm.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If certain colors are seen as "bad" and you take wedding dresses as an example, than we might as well prepare for more renamings as a lot of colors are apparently bad when it comes to wedding dresses: https://www.almanac.com/content/why-...-dresses-white
              [/I]
              I know, crazy isn't it... even the almanac is involved. It's amazing how far this trope has spread... It's good that people are finally recognizing it. It really shouldn't matter what color a wedding dress is. It's an outdated construct.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                i'm not rascist so i'm not going to connect the dots...
                Alrighty then...

Comment

Originally posted by middy
                  i'm not rascist so i'm not going to connect the dots. connecting the dots is exactly what he was talking about searching for offensiveness in the name of combating offensiveness. you are creating deeper meaning into things that don't have deeper meaning. black and white have been used for centuries to equate light and darkness. you're adding racism to things that never had racist meanings. that's paranoia.

your paranoia of dogwhistles have developed into nonsense like this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1675986

>[meta] No derogatory language: Remove negative references to mental illness
                  • bananas
                  • bonkers
                  • crazy
                  • cuckoo
                  • demented
                  • deranged
                  • hysterical
                  • insane
                  • loco
                  • loony/lunatic
                  • mad
                  • nutso/nutsy/nutty
                  • psychotic
                  • sanity check/test (see seanmhanson's note)
                  • wacko
                  https://gist.github.com/seanmhanson/...sanitycheck-md

and this lovely piece of replace sanity check with:

you're just playing a game of word games and in due time the new politically correct terms will be blacklisted as well because all you're doing is changing names to other names to mean the same damn thing. when those names where never racist, ableist or w.e slur you call them.

all of you are going, i dare say, bonkers over this stuff and need a sanity check. you are thinking WAY to damn much into this stuff. racist are not hiding behind every bush, not everything is a dogwhistle, and not everything is this ableist nonsense.
                  Whoa, that's quite an off topic tirade. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with identity politics. Bordering on the paranoid I would say. You should probably seek out help, or as you put it, have a "sanity check".

Comment

It's been a while since I've been on these forums but wow, things have really gone downhill. Some serious moderation is needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X