Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK4 Toolkit Seeing More Improvements To Its OpenGL Renderer

Phoronix: GTK4 Toolkit Seeing More Improvements To Its OpenGL Renderer

While GTK 4.0 has been released, there still is major work to look forward to with future GTK4 releases. One area seeing recent and ongoing improvements is with the toolkit's OpenGL renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would not even start using MoltenVK in such a case. At the end they have to write a thousand workarounds in the Vulkan renderer to support this Modern to Not-Modern API Translator. It would be the same situation as with the Shell and Nvidias horrible bug fest driver all over again. But unlike Apple, Nvidia at least has some decency to help with issues, so this is a proper lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
      I would not even start using MoltenVK in such a case. At the end they have to write a thousand workarounds in the Vulkan renderer to support this Modern to Not-Modern API Translator. It would be the same situation as with the Shell and Nvidias horrible bug fest driver all over again. But unlike Apple, Nvidia at least has some decency to help with issues, so this is a proper lost cause.
      Even in Nvidias case, they came in all arrogantly said "this is the proper way to implement this" and just dropped code without communicating with the existing community that tries to enable the feature, to be fair I am talking about EGLStreams. The Vulkan feature though, they tucked that in their proprietary driver nice and easily without reach.. but at least it works.. I guess.

But open source is all about helping, not JUST GET AND USE for your comfort. If something works right, you gotta put effort on the things you use besides complaints because if everyone has the same mentality (complain without actually test or provide code), we only have developers with limited scopes to their visions for their said projects.
      But everyone has their reasons for what ever they want to do, not going to fault them.

Comment

Is there any OpenGLonMetal implementation?

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          For free? Probably not. I know the makers of MoltenVK sell an OpenGL ES 2.0 translation layer called MoltenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

For free? Probably not. I know the makers of MoltenVK sell an OpenGL ES 2.0 translation layer called MoltenGL.
            Angle can translate OpenGLES 2.0 to Metal in OSX, and it's free.

Comment

Platform support via backing renderers:
              Mac OS X: in progress
              iOS: planned

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                As far I know Apple Silicon Macs use OpenGL on Metal implementation instead of native OpenGL drivers like Intel based Macs.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

As far I know Apple Silicon Macs use OpenGL on Metal implementation instead of native OpenGL drivers like Intel based Macs.
                  Is it available for general public? (link)

Comment

Well, we'll have Zink --> MoltenVK --> Metal by the time Apple finally removes the OpenGL (ES).

Comment

Working...
                    X