X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

for security concerns running graphical apps with sudo is disabled in many distros... thus programs like kdesu, gksu etc are made for this purpose...
    Ahh..I just checked. When I do run Kate on a system file, I get prompted when I save to enter the sudo credentials. You are correct - I did not run it as root. I ran it as a user and then when saved, entered the root password. I, as the politicians would say, I mis-remembered. Although I forgot and they usually mean "I am lying."

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

Interesting...I am running KDE Neon and I have not had an issue - although to be honest, I may have tweaked something. I am on my work computer now, so I cannot check.
    for security concerns running graphical apps with sudo is disabled in many distros... thus programs like kdesu, gksu etc are made for this purpose...

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied

sudo doesn't work for me
    Interesting...I am running KDE Neon and I have not had an issue - although to be honest, I may have tweaked something. I am on my work computer now, so I cannot check.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

Or sudo kate
    sudo doesn't work for me

Leave a comment:

• f0rmat
    replied

How is so? i do
    Code:
    kdesu kate
    and run it as root, can open and save root files...
    Or sudo kate

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
    I really hate that kate is not allowed to be run as root.
    How is so? i do
    Code:
    kdesu kate
    and run it as root, can open and save root files...

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by motang View Post
    Oh how I miss Unity and its HUD menu.
    Why not just use it then?
    A flavor of Ubuntu using the Unity7 desktop environment.

Alternatively, one can just make Plasma into a Unity clone (A quick search shows multiple ways to do this in Plasma)

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post
    The first thing I do is replacing the "Application Launcher" with "Application Menu" - way less clicks and much more organised. I wish it would be the default.

Other than that I am totally stoked for the upcoming updates!
    I do that too. That's why we use KDE: there's no one size fits all.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    But why do we need a scrollbar by default in the new launcher :-( The menu is not even re-sizeable...
    https://kde.org/announcements/plasma...90/kickoff.png
    Looks like they just ported over Lancelot's code, re-organized a few things and called it a day.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
    I really hate that kate is not allowed to be run as root. A warning is ok, but there are situations in which you don't have other practical choices. Because of that, I switched to another editor after this "patch" got upstream. If you really don't trust on your own code, then simply implement a right-dropping mode with the exception to the to be edited file and directory.
    I agree. I too use text editors and Krusader as root, so not being able to use Kate as root is hindering my workflow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X