KDE Saw Many Fixes + Improvements On Top Of Shipping Plasma 5.21 Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Saw Many Fixes + Improvements On Top Of Shipping Plasma 5.21 Beta

Phoronix: KDE Saw Many Fixes + Improvements On Top Of Shipping Plasma 5.21 Beta

In addition to shipping the Plasma 5.21 beta this week, KDE developers were very active in not only working out fixes for next month's Plasma 5.21 desktop but also other improvements to KDE applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please give Konsole a lot more love. It's usable, but I would like to reach features of others and speed of Alacritty...

Comment

Oh how I miss Unity and its HUD menu.

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
        Oh how I miss Unity and its HUD menu.
        It's weird. I hated Unity, but loved its HUD many. That Mac-like menu is one of the few things I liked about it.

And the only Mac stuff I liked.

Comment

I really hate that kate is not allowed to be run as root. A warning is ok, but there are situations in which you don't have other practical choices. Because of that, I switched to another editor after this "patch" got upstream. If you really don't trust on your own code, then simply implement a right-dropping mode with the exception to the to be edited file and directory.

Comment

Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
            I really hate that kate is not allowed to be run as root. A warning is ok, but there are situations in which you don't have other practical choices. Because of that, I switched to another editor after this "patch" got upstream. If you really don't trust on your own code, then simply implement a right-dropping mode with the exception to the to be edited file and directory.
            A user can log in without being root, edit a file and if root permissions are needed to save a file, then Kate asks for a password and saves the file. Normally that's fine.

Even after saying that, there are times when I have to execute Krusader as root, then I can use its file manager capabilities and edit system files (working almost exactly like Kate) without being asked for a password.
            Last edited by Nth_man; 23 January 2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

@Nth_man: this works only, if you can at least access the directory and read the file without being root. Yes, this is one reason I use Krusader and its internal file editor more and more.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

It's weird. I hated Unity, but loved its HUD many. That Mac-like menu is one of the few things I liked about it.

And the only Mac stuff I liked.
                Since when does macOS have a HUD-like menu?

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

A user can log in without being root, edit a file and if root permissions are needed to save a file, then Kate asks for a password and saves the file. Normally that's fine.
                  That has been my experience, too and it has always worked just fine.

It is good to see a focus on fixing the "paper cuts" that are annoying and drive my OCD demons (oops OCD daemons) crazy. Doing the unglamorous hard work of polishing, fixing, and tuning is so much better for the end user than focusing on generating half baked new "good idea fairy" things. I (and probably most end users) do not mind change and advancement and new ideas, but I really, really appreciate even more the focus of making sure things work and work right.

ngraham Great work from all of your team.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

But why do we need a scrollbar by default in the new launcher :-( The menu is not even re-sizeable...
                    https://kde.org/announcements/plasma...90/kickoff.png

Comment

Working...
                    X