Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40's Mutter Adds Atomic Mode-Setting Support

Phoronix: GNOME 40's Mutter Adds Atomic Mode-Setting Support

Adding to the list of big ticket changes for GNOME 40 is Mutter now supporting atomic mode-setting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Note that this is a also perquisite for a performance improvement: "unredirecting" of non-fullscreen surfaces ("windows"). Depending on hardware capabilities, surfaces that are not covered by anything else can be uploaded to hardware planes, bypassing compositing (equivalent to hardware cursors). Weston does this already.

Comment

I think that generally in case new devel gnome it would be good to fund some special award for that person who propose new versioning scheme.

Comment

GNOME 40 is going to be the most exciting release in years!

Comment

Those of you in the know, it is "Gnome 40" or "Gnome 3.40"? Or it should be 4.0?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Those of you in the know, it is "Gnome 40" or "Gnome 3.40"? Or it should be 4.0?
            As mentioned many times, it's GNOME 40.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't mind the new versioning, but I think it's fun that they have chosen to avoid 4.0 to separate themselves from Gtk 4.0 and are still doing an upgrade that's generational rather than incremental. I know that they're still using Gtk 3, but on a UI/UX level this is Gnome 4

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                I don't mind the new versioning, but I think it's fun that they have chosen to avoid 4.0 to separate themselves from Gtk 4.0 and are still doing an upgrade that's generational rather than incremental. I know that they're still using Gtk 3, but on a UI/UX level this is Gnome 4
                Hopefully on next Gnome major release they will introduce completely new and even more wonderful versioning scheme.

Comment

no idle inhibit protocol

no gnome for me

Comment

Is this going to break anything?

Comment

Working...
                    X