Chrome 89 Preparing To Ship With AV1 Encoder For WebRTC Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

Problem is aomenc is very very slow. Rav1e is somewhere in middle and SVT-AV1 is by far faster. Using aomenc for realtime encoding seems to be by far worst choice.
    Actually, judging by openbenchmarks, aomenc is faster overall over every Plattform. SVT-AV1 can only benefit from Core i 5th gen up and comparable. And on the low end, aomenc seems to be much faster while SVT-AV1 is faster on high end chips, where aomenc seems to still be able to get decent numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I am assuming they decided SVT-AV1 is still too immature for their use case, though i see this changing in the future
      With recent build breakage that is pretty true. Plus it only is buildable on 64-bit archs.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSwordM View Post

Hmm, was this on Chrome or Firefox? My i5 6500, which was no HT and considerably lower clocks played 1080p60 8-bit just fine on YT on Firefox.
        I think it was Chromium, but I'm not 100% sure.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          AV1 surely isn't, can't decode anything past 720p on Youtube with my desktop computer.
          720p 60 fps would be very nice quality for video call

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            For those who like Chrome, check out Edge it is a better version of Chrome.
            you mean for those of us who are ms slaves like you?

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

I physically vomit every time I read such terrible grammar on this website.
              I mean, its better than the subject at least... I prefer poor grammer over using firefox and this statement showcases why. Rav1e's preformance is abysmal, so either they will wait until its not. Which falls right in with their constant delay features, or are going to implement a practically unusable encoder.

either way firefox is constantly lagging behind Chrome and is becoming harder to support.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                you mean for those of us who are ms slaves like you?
                I am not a Microsoft slave, whatever that mean. I honestly don't know what it means, not sure you do either.
                I use Ubuntu and Windows 10, and like both. I code in C# / .NET as well as Python, PHP, Kotlin, JavaScript, TypeScript and Rust.

Personally I prefer Firefox myself, but I've tried Chrome, Chromium and Edge too. While I do prefer Firefox, I do think Edge is a better version of Chrome than Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

AV1 surely isn't, can't decode anything past 720p on Youtube with my desktop computer.
                  Something was wrong with your setup (how long ago was that, IRC early chrome builds with AV1 used suboptimal options).

i5 2500K should easily reach ~100+ fps on 1080p videos,

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

Something was wrong with your setup (how long ago was that, IRC early chrome builds with AV1 used suboptimal options).

i5 2500K should easily reach ~100+ fps on 1080p videos,
                    I'd like to see that. On an i5 4210U 1080p25 or p30 is running fine on VLC but I can't see it handling 60+ fps. And no way that could work directly on YouTube without downloading the video to play it with VLC. And I doubt a 2nd gen would be that much better. Though I don't have any video to test with

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

I'd like to see that. On an i5 4210U 1080p25 or p30 is running fine on VLC but I can't see it handling 60+ fps. And no way that could work directly on YouTube without downloading the video to play it with VLC. And I doubt a 2nd gen would be that much better. Though I don't have any video to test with
                      4210U is a low-clocked laptop 2-core. 2500k is a 4-core part. Dav1d has a really good scaling across the cores, so even if 2500K lacks AVX2, it compensates with higher clock and 4 proper cores (so I can easily see 30-40fps of 4210U turning into 90-120 fps on 2500K).
                      Last edited by flashmozzg; 25 January 2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X