Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.1 RC2 Up For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.1 RC2 Up For Testing This Open-Source Office Suite

LibreOffice 7.1 should be released at the start of February while now the second to last release candidate is available for testing of this leading cross-platform, open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was hoping they'll accept Paulo Jose's proposal for a new icon theme.

https://paulojose-brainstorm.blogspo...020-icons.html
    Last edited by Klassic Six; 20 January 2021, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post

In my opinion, the color fade swoosh part has to go. It just makes the rest of the icon harder to read.

Is it just me or are the first and third icons look like a picture from a camping trip? A bit too abstract for my tastes. The old ones they are clearly document related.

It's like fancy store signs with unreadable fonts. Yes, it looks really artsy. But what the heck does it say?

p.s. Retro LOL: Remember when The Document Foundation blessed us with a set of icons that were ALL the same color? Bah!
      Last edited by JEBjames; 20 January 2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post

Me too. It would be a very welcome update. I think they are great. Maybe they could be a little bit "lighter" in the colors. But any version I saw in the blog post would be better than the current ones.

Comment

I think LO should focus on interoperability with Microsoft Office. Otherwise we don't even have the prerequisite to switch

Comment

Originally posted by rockiron View Post
            I think LO should focus on interoperability with Microsoft Office. Otherwise we don't even have the prerequisite to switch
            Works for me. I know there are probably thousands of corner-cases where there are compatibility issues ... but to be fair ... MS Office isn't even compatible with *itself* across different versions. If a workplace wants to switch ... they can switch ... maybe with some teething pains. If we're just talking about 1 or 2 users in a big corporate environment with 20-year-old VB macros god knows what else ... yeah ... good luck with that :P

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post

Works for me. I know there are probably thousands of corner-cases where there are compatibility issues ... but to be fair ... MS Office isn't even compatible with *itself* across different versions. If a workplace wants to switch ... they can switch ... maybe with some teething pains. If we're just talking about 1 or 2 users in a big corporate environment with 20-year-old VB macros god knows what else ... yeah ... good luck with that :P
              For me instead it doesn't work.

I have submitted 5 bugs report to LO and all of them have been substantially ignored (except for trivial change and recently being "confirmed" by another user. But no feedback at all from developers)

corner-cases where there are compatibility issues
              By looking on the internet and from personal experience it seems much more than just a few corner cases. For instance see here

MS Office isn't even compatible with *itself* across different versions
              Instead the freeware WPS Office is compatible with MS Office

If a workplace wants to switch ... they can switch
              Breaking the layout and content of all their previous work? I don't think so

Comment

For instance see here
                This so-called "review" is just biased. He is against Open Source, Linux, Firefox and LibreOffice in general.

And what he has "tested" is certainly NOT typical office work. Instead, he tried to do DTP with a Word processor. With templates from Microsoft.
                Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 21 January 2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                  This so-called "review" is quite biased.

And what he has "tested" is certainly NOT typical office work. Instead, he tried to do DTP with a Word processor. With templates from Microsoft.
                  Well, I am doing office work and I am prevented from using LibreOffice because the documents of my co-workers, who use Microsoft Office, won't open correctly on it (yes I have all the Microsoft fonts)

So there are 2 people biased here

Comment

So there are 2 people biased here
                    I didn't say that. I just said that the source you cited is biased, which is quite clear ("stubbornness founded in ideology").

I think it just depends on the type of documents you are using. It is equally wrong to say "LibreOffice cannot read other documents". We use typical business documents: invoices, contracts and calc tables, without any problem.
                    Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 21 January 2021, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X