GNOME 40 Will Now Handle XWayland On-Demand By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spike29 View Post

While I agree that the Gnome Wayland session is largely usable on a daily basis, there are still a few issues left with gaming, like this one that may affect fast-paced games for non-casual gamers: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1208
    don't worry since nvidia will put out drivers who work with wayland and xwayland, ubuntu desktop will change to wayland and then this desktop bugs and the desktop will improve with the work of people from canonical, Red had don't care about desktop and IBM even less

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

On Mutter maybe, on KDE Plasma on the other hand...
      Legacy Desktops doing legacy stuff, who cares.

Comment

how about support for the idle inhibit protocol next ?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          Bye-bye X.

Equally important atomic mode setting support is almost done now.
          https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1488
          Linux supports ancient software, why wouldn't X be supported for another 40 years?

Comment

While I agree that the Gnome Wayland session is largely usable on a daily basis, there are still a few issues left with gaming, like this one that may affect fast-paced games for non-casual gamers: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1208
            Are you seriously expecting a zealot to admit that there are problems with their object of obsession?

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

So you keep saying.
              Over and over.
              Like a parrot.

But you just keep coming back. And then have to say good bye again?

I mean how MANY times do you have to say goodbye, before you stop saying goodbye? (Anyone else detecting something here, or is just me?)

goodbye? Kisses. Hugs. Please don't break heart. and say goodbye, all over again.

X.
              When people feel the need to keep repeating stuff like that, it usually means they have issues. (Even if it's because they're trolling... that's just indicative of a different set of issues.)

...so the question is what hole in himself 144Hz is trying to fill by acting this way.

Comment

I see there are some merge requests related to this issue so maybe it will be fixed in near issue. At least I hope it will. I have one question related to this issue - GNOME supports full screen undirecting on Wayland session so full screen applications should bypass compositor. Shouldn't this reduce that input lag?

Well, about time I think. I hope they fixed most important issues with this feature. Last time I tried it (on GNOME 3.36 I think) some applications couldn't start because for some reason they couldn't make Xwayland to startup. That was Electron applications if I recall correctly. I wonder when GNOME will support running without any X11 installed. Pure Wayland session would be interesting achievement. Probably not very usable for many users, there are still many X11 only applications.

Comment

If Red Hat doesn't care about desktop, how comes they are the main contributor to the most widely used Linux desktop environment?

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

I'm relatively new around here, and I have detected the same thing. The apparent anger towards X by so many just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. It's free software, if you don't like it, don't use it but the gall to complain about something that is truly free is just too funny.

I'm actually in the opposite camp because I have no issues with X since it just works for me. To be honest, X will be on my machine for as long as the mainline distros provide LXDE packages because that is my desktop of choice.
                    I don't think anyone hates X11, they are simply eager to move on to the new tech stack since X11 is aging. X11 served its purpose well at the time, but it's old and it has issues that are resolved in Wayland. For example, on my machine Gnome animations are very sluggish on X11 with two monitors, whereas on Wayland I get smooth animations even with 3 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                      Bye-bye X.

Equally important atomic mode setting support is almost done now.
                      https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1488
                      Now we hate X?? It's a piece of software which worked pretty well for over three decades.

Comment

Working...
                      X