Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 40 Will Now Handle XWayland On-Demand By Default

Phoronix: GNOME 40 Will Now Handle XWayland On-Demand By Default

Back in 2019 support was added to GNOME 3.34 to allow starting XWayland on-demand. With this opt-in feature, XWayland support would only be started up when needed (on-demand) for running X11 clients. That support has now matured enough where for the upcoming GNOME 40 it will be enabled by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But what about installing GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org as a dependency?
    At least on Ubuntu I cannot install GNOME without it pulling in XWayland and X.Org as a dependency.

I want GNOME on Wayland without XWayland even installed on my system.

Comment

If some X client is launching while XWayland is shutting down, then you can just start another instance of XWayland. Isn't that the purpose of it - to be super independent, including running multiple instances? Or XWayland is a singleton?

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

So you keep saying.
        Over and over.
        Like a parrot.

But you just keep coming back. And then have to say good bye again?

I mean how MANY times do you have to say goodbye, before you stop saying goodbye? (Anyone else detecting something here, or is just me?)

goodbye? Kisses. Hugs. Please don't break heart. and say goodbye, all over again.

X.
        and your problem is?

Comment

noob question...

if xwayland can be called on-demand, why is it hard for mutter to tag it as "being terminated" before actually doing so, and make apps that demand xwayland wait while this happens and then spin it up again once properly terminated?

that, of course, if it can't be ran in multiple instances (one for each process) as mentioned by V1tol above

I'm not doubting there is a technical challenge in making it work without falling into a race condition, but right now I don't see it... anyone here knows more of the whys and hows?

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            Bye-bye X.
            On Mutter maybe, on KDE Plasma on the other hand...
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Equally important atomic mode setting support is almost done now.
              https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte..._requests/1488
              Speaking from ignorance: what is(are) the benefit(s)?

Comment

Bye-bye X.
                While I agree that the Gnome Wayland session is largely usable on a daily basis, there are still a few issues left with gaming, like this one that may affect fast-paced games for non-casual gamers: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1208

Comment

So you keep saying.
                  Over and over.
                  Like a parrot.

I mean how MANY times do you have to say goodbye, before you stop saying goodbye? (Anyone else detecting something here, or is just me?)

goodbye? Kisses. Hugs. Please don't break heart. and say goodbye, all over again.

X.
                  I'm relatively new around here, and I have detected the same thing. The apparent anger towards X by so many just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. It's free software, if you don't like it, don't use it but the gall to complain about something that is truly free is just too funny.

I'm actually in the opposite camp because I have no issues with X since it just works for me. To be honest, X will be on my machine for as long as the mainline distros provide LXDE packages because that is my desktop of choice.

Comment

So you keep saying.
                    Over and over.
                    Like a parrot.

X.
                    "So long, see ya sucka, bon voyage, arrivederci, later loser, goodbye, good riddance, peace out, let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya, don't come back 'round here no more, hasta la vista, kick rocks, and get the hell out."
                    (https://youtube.com/watch?v=poiEC_kPk40)

Comment

Working...
                    X