GNOME 40 Will Now Handle XWayland On-Demand By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
    If Red Hat doesn't care about desktop, how comes they are the main contributor to the most widely used Linux desktop environment?
    Fanboys always seem to get this wrong. It's not that RH or Canonical don't care about the desktop literally. Of course they do.
    Just not in the same way Microsoft or Apple do. Because they have different targets.

Comment

sarmad Cool, may I ask what's your setup?

Comment

Does screencast in Google Meet and Zoom work now under Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          If Red Hat doesn't care about desktop, how comes they are the main contributor to the most widely used Linux desktop environment?
          It's somewhat like:
          "We need build RH/RHEL Ecosystem"->"We need developers on RHEL"->"We need a decent DE for developers"->"Hire a team of people to work on some DE"->Gnome

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
            sarmad Cool, may I ask what's your setup?
            System76 Darter Pro (intel i7 with intel UHD 620 gpu), 32gb ram, running PopOS 20.04. Using internal monitor running at 1080p, an external monitor also at 1080p and another external monitor running at 1200p; all monitors at 60fps refresh rates.

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

I'm relatively new around here, and I have detected the same thing. The apparent anger towards X by so many just makes me roll my eyes and chuckle. It's free software, if you don't like it, don't use it but the gall to complain about something that is truly free is just too funny.

I'm actually in the opposite camp because I have no issues with X since it just works for me. To be honest, X will be on my machine for as long as the mainline distros provide LXDE packages because that is my desktop of choice.
              XScreenSaver is a collection of free screen savers for X11, Linux, macOS, iOS and Android.

This is that you have not really looked under the hood of X11. The reality is X11 has not been in very good state for a long time. Like the fact that if a screen locker fails under X11 the result is fail unlocked instead of fail locked. The list go on with know faults like this that make X11 not suitable for enterprise classes of desktop usage.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                But what about installing GNOME without having XWayland and X.Org as a dependency?
                At least on Ubuntu I cannot install GNOME without it pulling in XWayland and X.Org as a dependency.

I want GNOME on Wayland without XWayland even installed on my system.
                Find application and library depending on X as a starting point.

Comment

What's the state of Wayland in KDE? Is it even there? I have desktop with KDE but I didn't changed anything, don't want to break things in my work machine, I have xorg there by default.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
                    What's the state of Wayland in KDE? Is it even there? I have desktop with KDE but I didn't changed anything, don't want to break things in my work machine, I have xorg there by default.
                    The answer is it is getting better every release. There are still issues though 5.21 aims to be much better over 5.20 which was a great deal better than 5.19... etc etc

One of the problems is that they have to deal with QT wayland bugs as well :-/

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                      Does screencast in Google Meet and Zoom work now under Wayland?
                      Those are either browser apps or web apps. Both Firefox and Chromium have the needed bits. Electron Apps may need to update their chromium version.

Comment

Working...
                      X