Wine 6.0 Released With A Plethora Of Improvements For Windows Software On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

winecfg dpi scaling has worked most times for me but being in-game I guess that presents a problem. IS this a problem under windows OS? seems like it would be.
    Good question but I don't know the answer. I don't have a Windows machine or VM.

Comment

Originally posted by xzhao View Post

Good question but I don't know the answer. I don't have a Windows machine or VM.
      Well, Just had been doing maintenance work on an old laptop. with Windows95/DOS 7.0

I don't know if modern Windows have that problem, but sure it had that in 1996. At least if you went into DOS mode

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

winecfg dpi scaling has worked most times for me but being in-game I guess that presents a problem. IS this a problem under windows OS? seems like it would be.
        The biggest problem that I have seen on old games on windows is the scaling to widescreen from the old "square screen." GOG (and I guess Steam) have done some things that will scale the games out to widescreen, but quite a few of my "ancient" games refuse to scale to widescreen no matter what I did.
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Here is a list of compositors that are able to do that:
          That is an extensive list...
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Here is a list of compositors that are able to do that:
            Compiz

Comment

I got wine-staging 6."something" today on Arch.
              World of Tanks got random multi second input and graphic hangs that makes it unplayable.
              Reverting to wine-staging 5.* series fixes the problem.
              Does proper wine 6.0 have the same issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                World of Tanks got random multi second input and graphic hangs that makes it unplayable.
                No, it's just staging.

Comment

For better or for worse, the Windows API is by far the most successful API on the rich client desktop (in terms of the number of apps using it), and in a LugRadio interview around 2008 Jeremy White described Wine as "the holy grail of open source."

"At present, two very impressive public domain emulators for Linux are in development: WINE is a windows emulator, and DOSEMU is a DOS emulator. Beta versions of both can be downloaded from the Internet." -- PC Graphics Unleashed, Sams Publishing, 1994.

In 15 years of contributing to Wine, I have never found an app that can't be made to run on Wine with enough effort. Certainly, it took me 3 weeks to figure out some bugs, so it isn't always easy.

The economics of Wine are still not such that it can replace Windows for all apps, or even for 90% of them, and result in a net cost saving. But it gets further every day. And it can result in a cost saving at scale: eg. a school needing to run a few Windows apps on a large number of computers, could find it costs less to get those to work in Wine, than expensive Microsoft licensing.

Glory to Wine! Well done to all Wine contributors! May it soar to new heights, serve users well, and liberate us from Microsoft's lock-in, and help us move onto trusted open-source OSs without spyware, forced reboots, questionable GUI, DRM, antivirus, and bloat, and empower us with freedom, flexibility, efficiency, control, cost savings, less wasteful VMs and dual booting, a richer app ecosystem, and new opportunities and possibilities - the very reasons we are in the field of computing!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

The best workaround I can think of for now is to decrease your screen resolution while playing old games.

Someone could write a tool that does this automatically depending on the currently focused window or active process.
                    I used to do that with a Launcher...dunno if i still have samples of those launchers (don't been playing any game for already a long time and had an issue with a drive that wiped out a lot of stuff...i might try to find it if i gone back to gaming)...

The launcher then would monitor for the game was still active and as soon as we exited game, it would restore previous resolution...NOT Wayland compatible, only for X.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                      I wonder if is that thing that they had recently that decreases performance and we need to disable.

Comment

Working...
                      X