Wine 6.0 Released With A Plethora Of Improvements For Windows Software On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

The biggest problem that I have seen on old games on windows is the scaling to widescreen from the old "square screen." GOG (and I guess Steam) have done some things that will scale the games out to widescreen, but quite a few of my "ancient" games refuse to scale to widescreen no matter what I did.
    Run games in 4:3 resolutions, full screen.
    Make sure your Monitor have "Full Aspect" , "Aspect Ratio" , "4:3" or similar option enabled.
    Scaling to actual full screen will distort the image (or some of the assets in some circumstances) anyway for any game that was designed for 4:3 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

I used to do that with a Launcher...dunno if i still have samples of those launchers (don't been playing any game for already a long time and had an issue with a drive that wiped out a lot of stuff...i might try to find it if i gone back to gaming)...

The launcher then would monitor for the game was still active and as soon as we exited game, it would restore previous resolution...NOT Wayland compatible, only for X.
      I found some of those Launchers, might not be the most recent however and they are designed to interact with a special script launched via autostart folder that makes custom resolutions based on the max resolution that your current monitor supports no matter used with NVIDIA, AMD or INTEL (or whatever) graphics (it used to be only for AMD GPUs but i reworked the script code and now works with any type of (d/i)GPU).

Maybe if restart to game and make a revision of everything to make its up to date and somehow will publish if anyone wants (BTW, i also make a DVD installer for COH that doesn't need the original buggy original COH installer if people prefer use the old DVD version w/o need for Steam at all (COH 2.500 Anthology DVD...you can then apply all the patches and even with special files hacked by me use modern Steam-only Mods without a glitch ) ....i was also making extensive modding for this game but part of the work was lost in that Drive corruption.
      Maybe one day i also resurrect that work.

Comment

I wonder if is that thing that they had recently that decreases performance and we need to disable.
        I don't know but it looks too random to be a normal performance degradation.
        ​​​​​Game runs great except the totally random freezes so it's probably just a bug.
        ​​​​​​I even started diagnosing my internet connection before I realized it was wine-staging problem.
        Btw. World of Tanks runs rock solid with DXVK all settings on max.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
          I don't know but it looks too random to be a normal performance degradation.
          ​​​​​Game runs great except the totally random freezes so it's probably just a bug.
          ​​​​​​I even started diagnosing my internet connection before I realized it was wine-staging problem.
          Btw. World of Tanks runs rock solid with DXVK all settings on max.
          DXVK is a must-have as for WINE goes.
          I made some tests some time ago last year with some games and i couldn't believe in the performance i was getting, i was like "F*** Window$, don't need that C*** ever anymore to play games".
          Of course there is the important factor if the game we like works with WINE(-STAGING) at all, but the bump in performance compared with regular WINE is mind-blowing.

Comment

Run games in 4:3 resolutions, full screen.
            Make sure your Monitor have "Full Aspect" , "Aspect Ratio" , "4:3" or similar option enabled.
            Scaling to actual full screen will distort the image (or some of the assets in some circumstances) anyway for any game that was designed for 4:3 monitors.
            I tried but the result is terrible on 800x600 resolution games.
            Strange that all wine games scale normally on Wayland tho.

Comment

Working...
            X