Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell Merges Port Of Extensions App + Portal To GTK4

Phoronix: GNOME Shell Merges Port Of Extensions App + Portal To GTK4

With GTK4 out and stabilizing well, more GNOME components are working to migrate to this updated toolkit as part of the GNOME 40 development cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sudo gedit /etc/pacman.conf
    IgnoreGroup = Gnome
    &

sudo apt-mark hold Gnome
    Until extensions are updated.

*Packages or groups might be named differently but you get the gist.

Comment

All these poor distros who have changed gnome with lots and lots of hacks will like that

Luckily there are some sane distros. BTW gnome default is awesome to use. Once you really gave it a chance, you will miss the flow everywhere else.

Comment

They should just port the whole shell to GTK4 instead of using Clutter and St. Why maintain two separate OpenGL based GUI toolkits, two separate CSS implementations, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          All these poor distros who have changed gnome with lots and lots of hacks will like that
          Luckily there are some sane distros. BTW gnome default is awesome to use. Once you really gave it a chance, you will miss the flow everywhere else.
          As that is true, the point of most "advanced" Gnome users uses extensions because it makes it "better". Default Gnome is fine but not "good enough" thus usage of extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

As that is true, the point of most "advanced" Gnome users uses extensions because it makes it "better". Default Gnome is fine but not "good enough" thus usage of extension.
            Exactly, eg PopOs autotilling best extension so far IMHO. Something vanilla gnome does not provide out of the box. Or menu for choosing hybrid /nvidia/ Intel settings.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
              ... PopOs autotilling ...
              BTW does this work with wayland by now? I'd really wanna use it.

Comment

Yes on my desktop with navi10 it works splendid (only resizing Firefox might look like a glitch for a sec if too much tabs are open). On my nvidia hybrid Intel laptop I can't choose Wayland session even if I install everything required. Maybe it can be "hacked" but I don't want to screw the configuration - I have had bad experience with nvidia hybrid and "tweaks". So I can only speak for an AMD config.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Yes, same is true for most browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

I somewhat got used to the Gnome 3 workflow. I'm a bit disappointed because it is going to change again with Gnome 40.
                    Hope there will be a configuration/extension/hack to mantain the current workflow.

Comment

Working...
                    X