X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volta
    replied
    pabloski

Apple UX is a joke, the same about their performance. It's even slower than Windows. Your preferences are meaningless for most of the users.

Leave a comment:

• pabloski
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
    Interesting article and good points, but the conclusion

"This is why Free desktop operating systems are a joke and haven’t been popularly adopted. It’s little things like this that add up. Why was there a Windows monopoly? I think it’s a stretch to just blame it on OEM bundling"

Then Apple should have been at 99% market share, because they make the most consistent and usable operating systems on the planet. And yes, I have used all 3 major OSes ( including DOS and Windows 3.x/9x ), plus FreeBSD, and have toyed with Haiku and ReactOS.

The level of accuracy in Apple's GUIs is maniacal. You can see that they research very carefully how users interact/should interact with their machines. The only thing that I put on par with Vim, is using a Mac with a programmer's editor ( modal or non modal ) coupled with the mac trackpad. In one sentence: macOS makes users productive!

But it has about 10% market share, while the inferior Windows has been dominating the market for 30 years.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
    What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
    Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
    Windows is years behind Linux when comes to performance, secuity, features and user experience, so your comment doesn't make sense. Windows 10 is unpolished nightmare.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    But not thumbnails: https://jayfax.neocities.org/mediocr...le-picker.html

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
    Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
    It looks like Windows 10 still requires third-party utilities to unlock in-use files so they can be moved/renamed or deleted. UNIX is superior here, they did it 40-50 years ago. Hope Windows in another 50 years will be as polished as Linux is now.

(Seriously. Who hasn't slammed face first into that "You can't delete this. Something's using it." dialog? On Linux, you don't even have to think about it. An open file handle is just an extra hardlink which will go away on its own. I think that's much more useful to the average day-to-day user than having a file creation time in the Preferences dialog.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 13 January 2021, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ColdDistance
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Why ?

Because when you browse through features, first you see a Metro window, second a W7 window, third a WXP window, and finish a W98 window. I know that Microsoft is trying to fix that, but many times, browsing through advanced features, I finished lost because the window design that appears after the first one doesn't have anything in common with the previous, so I have to think again where I am and what I want to do or where I want to go.

If you are very familiar with Windows that's not difficult for you, but that's like an advanced Arch user saying that the advanced concepts of command line are easy, because the truth is the interface is not intuitive.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Windows 10 is the most inconsistent system
    Why ?

Leave a comment:

• briceio
    replied
    Ah ah, I was just asking myself this very morning why the hell the time wasn't displayed in this field. Good to know it isn't an hidden setting somewhere I didn't find

Leave a comment:

• ColdDistance
    replied
    Windows 10 is the most inconsistent system I've ever used, and that inconsistency makes the use of the system very difficult, especially when you dig into advanced features.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I'm not salty because of the replacement, but by the terrible quality of what it was replaced by. 100x less good.
    I'm salty as anyone would when you downgrade to something 10x less flexible and powerful.
    And disappointed because Gnome gets worse after every release, every feature stripped down, and gets more and more in the way. You wouldn't think they could dig deeper, and yet they manage to do it.
    Yeah, Unity was much better. I wonder if/when Unity 8 finally becomes ready & available on the desktop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X