GNOME 40 Will Finally Show File Creation Times Within Its File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nranger View Post
    Good for them, but as long as I can still replace nautilus with nemo, as I've done since about Gnome 3.08, I'm good.
    You sure do like nemo lol.

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
      Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now
      Are you fucking out of your mind? Get yourself checked!
      How long did you use exclusively Windows system to be that intoxicated??

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Mez' So all your absurd claims about Red Hat really comes down to UnityVsShell? That’s the most sad thing I’ve seen on Phoronix ever.

Canonical tried to inject a lot of CLAed modules into the stack, Red Hat killed it of by pouring tons of resources into non-CLAed modules. Canonical lost in a fair battle of merits. That’s all.

Mark Shuttleworth took it like a man. There’s nothing wrong in accepting defeat by a better opponent.

Losing graciously is not easy. Mark actually did it many times. Upstart was cancelled the minute the CLA scam was exposed. Same with Unity.

Don’t be a sore loser, be Mark.
        This has nothing to do with Unity. Unity was clearly better in my opinion, but I'm only talking about Gnome here. How much of a disappointment it is and how worse it gets with every year and release.

Also, I don't care about CLAs and these things.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
          Good for them, but as long as I can still replace nautilus with nemo, as I've done since about Gnome 3.08, I'm good.
          Same here. It clearly seems more featured, more flexible, better suited to be tailored by the end user. Of course you could say that for anything that's not in the Gnome ecosystem.

Dual pane is such a joy to use when needed. Beats snapping almost every time. Very convenient, which is why it's been stripped down from Nautilus (obviously, it wouldn't be ok to offer convenient and easy ways).
          Then the disk usage bar is very handy to have an instantaneous visual cue of your disks situation.
          Finally, being able to go up one level with an easy button is just a luxury that's also been stripped down from Nautilus.

There's just one thing I'm missing from Nautilus and it's the visual progress pie with the transfer list when transferring files (a progress bar would be just as alright though).

Nautilus is usable though. Just not as comfortably.
          Last edited by Mez'; 14 January 2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Mez' It doesn’t matter what you care about. Canonical only cared about Unity when it served as a purpose to inject CLAed project into linux desktops. As soon as the CLA injection failed they dropped Unity.

So your lack of opinion on CLA doesn’t matter.
            It's not like many users have ever cared about CLAs, it's just a nice to have (that shouldn't get in the way of convenience and usability), so we can safely disregard your opinion as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
              pabloski

Apple UX is a joke, the same about their performance. It's even slower than Windows. Your preferences are meaningless for most of the users.
              I am not talking about performance, but usability. Saying that Apple UX is a joke, mean you have never used a Mac ( yes Mac hardware + macOS ) for more than 2 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

I am not talking about performance, but usability. Saying that Apple UX is a joke, mean you have never used a Mac ( yes Mac hardware + macOS ) for more than 2 minutes.
                I had and their usability is far away from my preferences. I even prefer Windows over it, but Windows is terrible mess overall. I always preferred KDE over everything, but I'm currently Gnome user, because it's more polished.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I had and their usability is far away from my preferences. I even prefer Windows over it, but Windows is terrible mess overall. I always preferred KDE over everything, but I'm currently Gnome user, because it's more polished.
                  Preferences are subjective. But if the target of an UI is to let the user do his job with less mouse movements and keypresses, then Apple has hit the jackpot.

I am forced to use Vim on every Windows and Linux machine, because it is awful to program while going around with the mouse, pressing keys that are far from the home row ( End, Insert, Delete, the cursor keys ). I can use a normal editor on Macs, because the trackpad and the well designed ( from an ergonomic point of view ) keyboard makes it a breeze to move around.

Or you can delete a file just by moving the cursor with your thumbs on the trackpad, then hitting Fn+backspace.

These are minor things but that adds up. This is what I mean by usability. The same usability that I can have on PCs too, by using Vim and vim-like programs and plugins ( Vimium for Chromium and Tridactyl for Firefox, for example ). But I cannot have it by default, by using the built-in interaction mechanisms in Windows/Linux/BSDs.

Comment

Mez' So all your absurd claims about Red Hat really comes down to UnityVsShell? That’s the most sad thing I’ve seen on Phoronix ever.
                    Nope. As Mez' said it comes down to the sheer numbers provided by the Gnome project itself.

Red Hat contributes most of the code and most of the commits, in a word, most of the work.
                    It's just consequential that they have most of the control.

Don't you think that it would be risky to pour lots and lots of resources, like you said, in a project you don't control?
                    You'd have to be quite naive to believe they don't.
                    Last edited by JackLilhammers; 14 January 2021, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Mez' It doesn’t matter what you care about. Canonical only cared about Unity when it served as a purpose to inject CLAed project into linux desktops. As soon as the CLA injection failed they dropped Unity.

So your lack of opinion on CLA doesn’t matter.
                      You do realise that most of the world doesn't even know what's a CLA, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X