GNOME 40 Will Finally Show File Creation Times Within Its File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
    What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
    Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
    It looks like Windows 10 still requires third-party utilities to unlock in-use files so they can be moved/renamed or deleted. UNIX is superior here, they did it 40-50 years ago. Hope Windows in another 50 years will be as polished as Linux is now.

(Seriously. Who hasn't slammed face first into that "You can't delete this. Something's using it." dialog? On Linux, you don't even have to think about it. An open file handle is just an extra hardlink which will go away on its own. I think that's much more useful to the average day-to-day user than having a file creation time in the Preferences dialog.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 13 January 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

But not thumbnails: https://jayfax.neocities.org/mediocr...le-picker.html

Comment

What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
        Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
        Windows is years behind Linux when comes to performance, secuity, features and user experience, so your comment doesn't make sense. Windows 10 is unpolished nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
          Interesting article and good points, but the conclusion

"This is why Free desktop operating systems are a joke and haven’t been popularly adopted. It’s little things like this that add up. Why was there a Windows monopoly? I think it’s a stretch to just blame it on OEM bundling"

Then Apple should have been at 99% market share, because they make the most consistent and usable operating systems on the planet. And yes, I have used all 3 major OSes ( including DOS and Windows 3.x/9x ), plus FreeBSD, and have toyed with Haiku and ReactOS.

The level of accuracy in Apple's GUIs is maniacal. You can see that they research very carefully how users interact/should interact with their machines. The only thing that I put on par with Vim, is using a Mac with a programmer's editor ( modal or non modal ) coupled with the mac trackpad. In one sentence: macOS makes users productive!

But it has about 10% market share, while the inferior Windows has been dominating the market for 30 years.

Comment

pabloski

Apple UX is a joke, the same about their performance. It's even slower than Windows. Your preferences are meaningless for most of the users.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
              I'm so glad I didn't waste time with this terrible desktop environment.

Comment

Lolwut? Even diehard Windows fans say that Windows 10 isn't polished...

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  pabloski

Apple UX is a joke, the same about their performance. It's even slower than Windows. Your preferences are meaningless for most of the users.
                  No joking. I bet it got better now, but I remember wachting a presentation on a MacBook (didn't know the model), and the UI animations were much slower than what you had on Linux and Windows at the time, even on equivalent crappy Intel's iGPU.

Even using it latter on another laptop didn't make a better impression on me. To uninstall MS Office* you had to manually delete folders on a couple different directories. My reaction was "and THIS is the holly grail UI some blokes are trying to copy on Linux? Seriously?".

*And that was from MS official documentation.

Comment

Good for them, but as long as I can still replace nautilus with nemo, as I've done since about Gnome 3.08, I'm good.

Comment

and then maybe finally this:

?

Comment

Working...
                      X