No announcement yet.

GNOME 40 Will Finally Show File Creation Times Within Its File Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compared to other companies profiting from OpenSource Red Hat is giving a lot in return. Just compare it with Microsoft or Nvidia (or Google).

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
      Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
      Windows 10 and polishing? Are you serious? A lot of mixed legacy apps and modern eg. control panel and settings for the same tasks, a lot of preinstalled "mobile" games via Windows Store, broken updates etc. Windows 10 is a step backward if we talking about polishing when we compare it to eg. Windows 8.x, Windows 7 or Vista. A lot of linux distributions are much more polished than this crappy OS.

Comment

What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
        Hope linux in 10 years will be polished as Windows 10 now for end user then maybe it will be used more for desktops.
        With Inconsistent design (Metro applications, classic applications, XP-era dialogs without HiDPI support) and 2 Control Panels ("modern" and one from Windows7, neither of them is compete) I'd rather call it "messy" than "polished". And if we're talking about features, standard Windows still lacks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          It's just the reality of how it is. Whether you accept it or not is a different story.

First Gnome is a lot of NIH. Don't even dare to use that argument. Boxes, Epiphany and all these apps with a negligible market share have much better alternatives and in the end are wasting Gnome resources that could be used for maintenance and to give customization options to the rigid and lacking features DE that Gnome is.

Then Canonical had to NIH exactly because they don't have a say and design ideas (except for trivial stuff) are not accepted by the Red Hat dictatorship.
          At some point, if you have a vision and can't exploit it because of a supposed community which is actually not one and where the dictator impose only its own ideas, you need to do your own stuff to materialize it. There is no other option left. Just like an employee will quit if he's never heard on a raise or on taking on a different role or responsibility. It's not meritocracy, it's about listening, delegating and letting in.
          Unity was head and shoulders ahead of Gnome Shell in my opinion and it entirely and completely justified them going their own way. Now I'm sort of stuck with Gnome and it's a solid downgrade for me. Stuck because I prefer GTK and there's nothing else still maintained and ready in a modern paradigm. Unity is no more (maintained) and Budgie is almost there but not quite yet. The rest is Windows 95 paradigm, QT or else.

I really hope Canonical will come back to its own vision when they break even and have the financial means to invest once again in a desktop based on end users feedback (as Unity was). I trust their vision much more than Red Hat's, even if they have to NIH the hell out of that Gnome fake community.
          I get it now, you are salty because of Unity and its replacement by the 100 times better Gnome Shell in 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I get it now, you are salty because of Unity and its replacement by the 100 times better Gnome Shell in 2016.
            I'm not salty because of the replacement, but by the terrible quality of what it was replaced by. 100x less good (in my opinion).
            I'm salty as anyone would when you downgrade to something that I believe is 10x less flexible and powerful.
            And disappointed because Gnome gets worse after every release, every feature stripped down, and gets more and more in the way. You wouldn't think they could dig deeper, and yet they manage to do it.
            Last edited by Mez'; 13 January 2021, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              I'm not salty because of the replacement, but by the terrible quality of what it was replaced by. 100x less good.
              I'm salty as anyone would when you downgrade to something 10x less flexible and powerful.
              And disappointed because Gnome gets worse after every release, every feature stripped down, and gets more and more in the way. You wouldn't think they could dig deeper, and yet they manage to do it.
              Yeah, Unity was much better. I wonder if/when Unity 8 finally becomes ready & available on the desktop.

Comment

What a great achievement. Windows is superior here, they did it more than 20 years ago...
                Windows 10 is the most inconsistent system I've ever used, and that inconsistency makes the use of the system very difficult, especially when you dig into advanced features.

Comment

Ah ah, I was just asking myself this very morning why the hell the time wasn't displayed in this field. Good to know it isn't an hidden setting somewhere I didn't find

Comment

Originally posted by ColdDistance View Post

Windows 10 is the most inconsistent system
                    Why ?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Why ?

Because when you browse through features, first you see a Metro window, second a W7 window, third a WXP window, and finish a W98 window. I know that Microsoft is trying to fix that, but many times, browsing through advanced features, I finished lost because the window design that appears after the first one doesn't have anything in common with the previous, so I have to think again where I am and what I want to do or where I want to go.

If you are very familiar with Windows that's not difficult for you, but that's like an advanced Arch user saying that the advanced concepts of command line are easy, because the truth is the interface is not intuitive.

Comment

Working...
                      X