Progress On The GNOME 40 Shell Continues At Full Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

Normally you don't do that. If you want to see the activities view you just press your super key. You'll get large previews of your apps and click on the right one. You'll get much more context comapred to small buttons in any old school taskbar. If you want to launch an application, you press super and type the first 2-3 letters and press enter. Gnome is very fast on multitasking after getting into its basic principles. When I get back on any desktop Environment with an old style taskbar I always feel those to be clumsy and slow, because those really put me into need to go far distances with my mouse and review the whole list of apps in a crammed taskbar to identify my app and get it into focus...
    Average Joe's almost only use the keyboard for typing. So this is irrelevant.
    I am an average Joe and I remove both hands from the keyboard as soon as I am done typing. It's uncomfortable otherwise.

I stand by what I said, with a precision. If you're not a nerd keeping his hands on the keyboard at all time, there seems to be way too many wide movements to get the job done.

Comment

Nice backwards progress.
      Any word on an extension in development to reverse this?
      Last edited by sarmad; 07 January 2021, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Michael The page of the article renders the video far too big on my phone, and the video therefore gets cut off at about 60% width.

I also just can edit this text in landscape mode. Would be nice if you could fix this!
        Last edited by Zyklon; 07 January 2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Average Joe's almost only use the keyboard for typing...
          Average joe can use the Super Key more useful to access applications.

I stand by what I said, with a precision. If you're not a nerd keeping his hands on the keyboard at all time, there seems to be way too many wide movements to get the job done.
          Perhaps you will need to revise your work-flow.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

IMHO, it still won't be up to par with with Plasma, Cinnamon, or Mate in regards to efficient multitasking. For me, any work involving three or more programs feels clunky and slower on GNOME; like jumping between a web browser, a terminal, a text editor, and a file browser which I seem to do a lot. The way I can set that up in Plasma is just more efficient to me and not much on that video showed GNOME getting better in that regard.

I did like that the app drawer made use of the sides of the screen. The last time I used vanilla GNOME the icons were in a square shape with lots of padding on the sides and it really annoyed me. I'm not a fan of full screen app drawers, but that's better than what it was.

If GNOME had a taskbar and a drop-down terminal added to the project I could really make it work. Sorry not sorry, but I'm never going to be able to make those icon dock launchers on the bottom work. I'll compromise on a taskbar with quick-launch icons, but that's as far as I'll go. The things I want to access that fast will be icons on my desktop or taskbar and I'll use the main menu for the rest...oh, wait...
            I definitely agree with switching between applications, especially multiple windows of the same app

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
              ehm... what do you exactly mean with "gnome got virtual desktop"?
              gnome had virtual desktop for about 20 years now...
              Yeah, it's not exactly a revolutionary feature... some form of workspace / virtual desktop has been a feature of nearly every desktop and WM since the mid 90's (barring a few old relics like twm). It's the kind of thing you can't not have if you want to have users...

Comment

uid313 If that's Windows 10 that you want, KDE perfectly fits the bill.

As far as I am concerned, I hate Windows paradigms and I am glad alternatives still exist.

I like the new design a lot, I am a bit disappointed that they didn't keep the idea of wndows overlapping desktop borders, it gave a sense of perspective that was interesting.

Comment

IMHO, it still won't be up to par with with Plasma, Cinnamon, or Mate in regards to efficient multitasking. For me, any work involving three or more programs feels clunky and slower on GNOME; like jumping between a web browser, a terminal, a text editor, and a file browser which I seem to do a lot. The way I can set that up in Plasma is just more efficient to me and not much on that video showed GNOME getting better in that regard.
                  I really feel the same as you, but I use XFCE in a very minimalistic way.
                  GNOME is really beautiful and everything is well integrated, I used it for months, but honestly, I've found that the animations and the way windows are changed end up being exhausting.
                  This feels like there is some traction that retains from changing windows. It's either hard to know where to locate the window you want to open or hard for the eyes because there are animations everywhere. Also, the icon view is not efficient because this is ordered by name (Gnome 38 improved that, but still.).
                  The worst part is that opening the app launcher set all screens to exposé mode and that is really hard for the eye-strain.
                  I've tried Dash to dock, Dash to panel, disable animations, Arc Menu, but in the end, the workflow is never optimal. That's just my personal view on it.

Comment

IMHO, it still won't be up to par with with Plasma, Cinnamon, or Mate in regards to efficient multitasking. For me, any work involving three or more programs feels clunky and slower on GNOME; like jumping between a web browser, a terminal, a text editor, and a file browser which I seem to do a lot.
                    Press "super" to open overview. Drag 3 of these windows each to a different workspace. Close overview. Now you can navigate between them using super+pgup/super+pgdown. Not as good as having 2 monitors, but maybe better than usual windows-like multitasking when clicking on app's icon on taskbar.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
                      Press "super" to open overview. Drag 3 of these windows each to a different workspace. Close overview. Now you can navigate between them using super+pgup/super+pgdown. Not as good as having 2 monitors, but maybe better than usual windows-like multitasking when clicking on app's icon on taskbar.
                      But that workflow doesn't work if you have two screens! If you change a workspace, it'll change on both screens.

Comment

Working...
                      X