Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 6.0-RC5 Is Testing A Patch That May Hurt The Performance Of Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ix900
    replied
    Originally posted by vsteel View Post

That is the point of wine-staging. If you are concerned about beta software then the staging branch is not for you.

I am sure something had an improvement or was supposed to have an improvement, but it is in staging so it can be tested in a larger arena where these kinds of bugs can be found. Hence the ~800 patches on top of standard wine.
    I find, at least with wine, the whole idea of beta and production to be not much of a thing. Sure there could be something more unstable, but as a whole, many things are broken, crash, and won't run. Regressions will probably happen in all of them as well. Use whatever works is my motto for wine.

Probably no one should really be concerned.
    Last edited by ix900; 04 January 2021, 09:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nuetzel
    replied
    Bus Simulator 18 (Steam Wine 64)
    isn't working since 5.2x (last running in November / beginning of December)

Wargaming.net Game Center (Steam Wine 64)
    show a weird endless mirror effect at the upper left corner since 5.2x

Can someone of you confirm, please.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    Since nothing was mentioned, I doubt it.

This is just the classic "let's cater to purity instead of practical performance" issue wine development has (or wine-staging), unfortunately. Given it's by Zebediah Figura it's no surprise.
    What's wrong with Zebediah? Isn't esync from him and yet always refused upstream so not that pure I'm guessing?

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    im stupid what benefits i have with this patch there any game/app is usable thanks to this patch or something ?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by microcode View Post
    Is there an actual use case where this improves stability or compatibility? This seems like.. a bad idea, the way it is explained here. I will have to take a look at the thread.
    Since nothing was mentioned, I doubt it.

This is just the classic "let's cater to purity instead of practical performance" issue wine development has (or wine-staging), unfortunately. Given it's by Zebediah Figura it's no surprise.

We should petition against this. At the very least, this patch should clearly be made optional via some environment variable or registry setting. Such a performance drop is absolutely massive. Even 1-2% would be terrible, but this is on another level.

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Any way to compile Wine-Staging WITHOUT that specific Patch ?
    Append the following options when invoking wine-staging's patchinstall.sh: -W ntdll-NtAlertThreadByThreadId

Leave a comment:

• flashmozzg
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    trilean that is useful for reactos too
    In fact it's the opposite. IRC, there was a major stall in the development of ReactOS due to WinXP source leaks, since some of devs had access to that source code and they had to reaudit all of their OS code and get rid of chunks that were not straight up reimplementations from API (since looking at the source code and then reimplementing it, even from memory, is problematic copyright-wise).

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post
    So basically the rest of us will be testers for this "patch". was there any software/game that had any improvements from it?
    That is the point of wine-staging. If you are concerned about beta software then the staging branch is not for you.

I am sure something had an improvement or was supposed to have an improvement, but it is in staging so it can be tested in a larger arena where these kinds of bugs can be found. Hence the ~800 patches on top of standard wine.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    trilean that is useful for reactos too

Leave a comment:

• trilean
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoronix
    Meanwhile Wine developers believe Windows with their Win32 futexes and the like are built atop an internal, undocumented interface that in turn are likely system calls.
    I wish a Wine developer had a dream where the recently leaked Win XP source code appeared to them...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X