Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 6.0-RC5 Is Testing A Patch That May Hurt The Performance Of Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 6.0-RC5 Is Testing A Patch That May Hurt The Performance Of Some Games

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 6.0-RC5 Is Testing A Patch That May Hurt The Performance Of Some Games

Building off yesterday's Wine 6.0-RC5 test release is an updated Wine-Staging build that adds nearly 800 patches atop the upstream code-base for experimental/testing features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I didn't had the chance to compile yet , so, i have 2 questions:

Any way to compile Wine-Staging WITHOUT that specific Patch ?

What happens usually with games that use futexes with previous versions of wine/Wine-Staging ?

Comment

Is there an actual use case where this improves stability or compatibility? This seems like.. a bad idea, the way it is explained here. I will have to take a look at the thread.

Comment

So basically the rest of us will be testers for this "patch". was there any software/game that had any improvements from it?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
          Meanwhile Wine developers believe Windows with their Win32 futexes and the like are built atop an internal, undocumented interface that in turn are likely system calls.
          I wish a Wine developer had a dream where the recently leaked Win XP source code appeared to them...

Comment

trilean that is useful for reactos too

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              So basically the rest of us will be testers for this "patch". was there any software/game that had any improvements from it?
              That is the point of wine-staging. If you are concerned about beta software then the staging branch is not for you.

I am sure something had an improvement or was supposed to have an improvement, but it is in staging so it can be tested in a larger arena where these kinds of bugs can be found. Hence the ~800 patches on top of standard wine.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                trilean that is useful for reactos too
                In fact it's the opposite. IRC, there was a major stall in the development of ReactOS due to WinXP source leaks, since some of devs had access to that source code and they had to reaudit all of their OS code and get rid of chunks that were not straight up reimplementations from API (since looking at the source code and then reimplementing it, even from memory, is problematic copyright-wise).

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                  Any way to compile Wine-Staging WITHOUT that specific Patch ?
                  Append the following options when invoking wine-staging's patchinstall.sh: -W ntdll-NtAlertThreadByThreadId

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                    Is there an actual use case where this improves stability or compatibility? This seems like.. a bad idea, the way it is explained here. I will have to take a look at the thread.
                    Since nothing was mentioned, I doubt it.

This is just the classic "let's cater to purity instead of practical performance" issue wine development has (or wine-staging), unfortunately. Given it's by Zebediah Figura it's no surprise.

We should petition against this. At the very least, this patch should clearly be made optional via some environment variable or registry setting. Such a performance drop is absolutely massive. Even 1-2% would be terrible, but this is on another level.

Comment

Working...
                    X