KDE In 2021 Should See Production-Ready Plasma Wayland, Other Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curfew View Post
    KDE feels so outdated, (...) plasmoids suck ass and are horrible. Even more limited than those ridiculed Metro-derived toolkits Microsoft keeps pushing out. (...)
    Yeah and the choice of colors is between shades of gray and some blue, it's like I'm in 1985 and my monitor supports up to 16 colors.

Comment

I miss a shortcut to send windows to the background. I don't know whether drag and drop between windows or clip board problems are fixed.

Comment

KDE feels so outdated, the desktop has had the same legacy look since KDE 4.0 almost 15 years ago. I've always hated their Qt widget themes, they look simply stupid and amateuristic. Plasma themes are adequate but the plasmoids suck ass and are horrible. Even more limited than those ridiculed Metro-derived toolkits Microsoft keeps pushing out. But KDE folks just waste their time re-designing system settings again and again and again...
        Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Yeah and the choice of colors is between shades of gray and some blue, it's like I'm in 1985 and my monitor supports up to 16 colors.
        That's how I feel about GNOME and Adwaita. FWIW, it's entirely possible to have KDE act and feel like GNOME, XFCE, and most every other setup (maybe not Deepin and their sidebar). Need a very limited top bar with no taskbar, stupid ass full screen app drawers, and full screen app changes? Yep. KDE can do yer modern shit too.

At least we don't need to get on the internet to download a plugin to change our color schemes and themes

Comment

KDE feels so outdated, the desktop has had the same legacy look since KDE 4.0 almost 15 years ago. I've always hated their Qt widget themes, they look simply stupid and amateuristic. Plasma themes are adequate but the plasmoids suck ass and are horrible. Even more limited than those ridiculed Metro-derived toolkits Microsoft keeps pushing out. But KDE folks just waste their time re-designing system settings again and again and again...
          Can't please everyone! However, the great thing about Gnu / linux is that you can choose what to use.
          I personally think Plasma 5 is really great and I really like the work they are doing, however you can't say it's the same as Plasma 4 or more back, because it doesn't. There are big differences.
          On the other hand, I find GTK themes which are really a mess and not very customizable, there is no decent API for themes and the first to complain about this are the authors of the GTK themes.
          Plasma widgets are fantastic, I don't understand what problems there are. You just don't like Plasma, okay, we'll get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            On the other hand, I find GTK themes which are really a mess and not very customizable, there is no decent API for themes and the first to complain about this are the authors of the GTK themes.
            Probably I'm one of the lucky ones because I like the default dark theme and don't even need to look for alternatives.

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            Plasma widgets are fantastic, I don't understand what problems there are. You just don't like Plasma, okay, we'll get over it.
            The plasmoids seem unchanged since KDE 4.4, which is when I abandoned my efforts at developing one and also switched away from KDE altogether (10 years ago, mind you). And I mean literally unchanged -- they even have the same stupid bugs as back then. Also I cannot see any new functionality so either there is none or it requires some new and even more complex code to make use of it.
            Last edited by curfew; 02 January 2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

> Probably I'm one of the lucky ones because I like the default dark theme and don't even need to look for alternatives.
              You are not alone . If you like it, Breeze-Noir-Dark is really good, by the way.

Comment

Probably I'm one of the lucky ones because I like the default dark theme and don't even need to look for alternatives.

The plasmoids seem unchanged since KDE 4.4, which is when I abandoned my efforts at developing one and also switched away from KDE altogether (10 years ago, mind you). And I mean literally unchanged -- they even have the same stupid bugs as back then. Also I cannot see any new functionality so either there is none or it requires some new and even more complex code to make use of it.
                """The plasmoids seem...""
                ...but they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                  there hope to rewrite kwin ?
                  There are big news for upcoming kwin plasma 5.21:
                  https://blog.vladzahorodnii.com/2020...ow-and-future/ and
                  ^^ on phoronix here: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ter-Experience

and you have also:
                  • kwin-ft
                  • kwin-lowlatency (which should stop to make sense after the upcoming 5.21 kwin release)

Comment

Also I cannot see any new functionality
                    Which functionality do you miss? Is there some functionality which GNOME or another DE offers that's missing here?
                    I'm quite sure you find some 10 years old lines of code in other DEs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      That's how I feel about GNOME and Adwaita. FWIW, it's entirely possible to have KDE act and feel like GNOME, XFCE, and most every other setup (maybe not Deepin and their sidebar). Need a very limited top bar with no taskbar, stupid ass full screen app drawers, and full screen app changes? Yep. KDE can do yer modern shit too.
                      Speaking of taste, what do you think if a file browser displayed the link target inline next to the file name? Here's an example:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                      X