Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE In 2021 Should See Production-Ready Plasma Wayland, Other Improvements

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by curfew View Post
    KDE feels so outdated, the desktop has had the same legacy look since KDE 4.0 almost 15 years ago. I've always hated their Qt widget themes, they look simply stupid and amateuristic. Plasma themes are adequate but the plasmoids suck ass and are horrible. Even more limited than those ridiculed Metro-derived toolkits Microsoft keeps pushing out. But KDE folks just waste their time re-designing system settings again and again and again...
    I don't fully agree with you about the look: it's not the best by any means, but IMHO it's not a bad default. Luckily, though, you can change everything, even the widget toolkit by using something like Kvantum for example. Kvantum rocks!

    I do agree with you though that plasmoids, both 1st-party ones and 3rd-party ones, aren't that great.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Speaking of taste, what do you think if a file browser displayed the link target inline next to the file name? Here's an example:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMVEiwNceeg
      One of my biggest peeves with links is having to either right click into a submenu or read small text in a box somewhere to figure out where it links to so that's just terrific. I like that so, more than likely, it means most other people will think it's too much clutter and/or information displayed at once.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by curfew View Post
        KDE feels so outdated, the desktop has had the same legacy look since KDE 4.0 almost 15 years ago. I've always hated their Qt widget themes, they look simply stupid and amateuristic. Plasma themes are adequate but the plasmoids suck ass and are horrible. Even more limited than those ridiculed Metro-derived toolkits Microsoft keeps pushing out. But KDE folks just waste their time re-designing system settings again and again and again...
        The look and feel of KDE is one of the things I like about it. Does it change every week just for the sake of change? No. What it does is works pretty great (on X ) and can be configured to look any way I want it to. If you don't like how it looks create a new theme and publish it. It's not rocket science.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

          One of my biggest peeves with links is having to either right click into a submenu or read small text in a box somewhere to figure out where it links to so that's just terrific. I like that so, more than likely, it means most other people will think it's too much clutter and/or information displayed at once.
          I'd rather have that as a tooltip, but showing it always is not a bad idea either.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post

            I'd rather have that as a tooltip, but showing it always is not a bad idea either.
            Luckily it's KDE so there's always a chance we'll get an option for either one.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

              Precisely that configuration works very well for me on X. The rotated and smaller one is secondary and to the right of the primary one.
              I have had various issues with having my primary on the right of the secondary in the past though.
              That is very interesting as that is my setup. I have a 3440x1440 120Hz as my primary and to the right I have a 1900x1200 60Hz rotated (so now effectively a 1200x1900 monitor)
              It forgets where windows are and opens them in seemingly random locations, I get windows opening up off the visible screen. Sometimes moving a window will cause either monitor to flicker, sometimes the secondary monitor will look normal but when trying to move a window over to it, I won't be able to see it. It is like someone took a snapshot of my monitor and made it full screen and in front of everything. In settings I have to disable it and turn it back on or some other event that will make it redraw the screen (change rotation or resolution) and then set it back to normal and it will work fine.

              Nothing that truly doesn't work just really annoying niggles at times. I have filed bugs against X but I think I was too late and the developers moved on to Wayland.

              Comment


              • #37
                I hope the new kickoff menu is optional/configurable, I don't like those 2 panels

                Comment

                Working...
                X