No announcement yet.

GNOME In 2020 Saw Many Optimizations, GTK 4.0 Released, GNOME 40 In Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now gnome like no other DE just looks modern and coherent which for me is the reason why people are using it. Gnome design team is doing cosmetical rearrangements instead of addressing long standing community issues (desktop icons, app indicator, optional visible dock, etc), because design solutions are mainly based upon feedback from developers of associated companies. Who cares about the fact that the largest userbase is coming from ubuntu and is using countless extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
      No, no, that's not how it works around here. The person who shared their issue on here is the one that must provide bug reports and/or step up to fix the issue themselves. Welcome to Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
        We normal people with a full time job don't have a proper way to voice our dissent and have our constructive criticism accepted and actually discussed.

I guess the expectation is that you must be a cretin with a ThinkPad and start churning away at code for free until Red Hat hires you and you become part of the "meritocratic" circlejerk.
        It's become an undefendable institution that doesn't take its userbase seriously, if it ever has.
        Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Unfortunately their un-democratic institution enforces their terrible Mac/Android mobile interface on Fedora, even after all the complaints and lost user base.

It appears redhat has a strong hand in everything because they pay a lot of salaries, so people tend to accept what they are being told to do from their employer.
        Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Do they really though? What percentage of users are using vanilla GNOME Shell? What percentage have Dash to Dock or Dash to Panel installed? Why does Ubuntu feel the need to add the dock and AppIndicator for system tray icons?
        Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        Let me guess, that is a copy/paste from GNOME marketing material? that is a lot of garbage in one paragraph.

The truth is really painful, when Fedora switched to gnome 3, it lost almost all its user base. If it wasn't for Fedora Spins with alternative desktops, Fedora would have been a footnote in the history of linux distros. Fedora's user base never really recovered, gnome 3 and its terrible user interface made a lot of damage.

Gnome 3 still causes so much division even after so many years, but GNOME devs still refuse to acknowledge reality. Their inability to accept reality (or maybe their egos) prevents them from making GNOME a friendly and more usable desktop.

Sad really...
        So glad to read these comments. Completely in line with what I've been saying and basically half of the comments I've been reading around Gnome.
        Spot on.

Some blinkered yes men cultists like 144Hz will fake positivism (with silliness and gullibility, probably paid by Red Hat) without even an ounce of critical mind, but the image of Red Hat and Gnome is slowly being chipped away. Proof that there is something wrong with their method.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
          Do they really though? What percentage of users are using vanilla GNOME Shell?
          How many devices come with vanilla desktop environment ranging from Android to Microsoft Windows 10 without customization from vendors?

What percentage have Dash to Dock or Dash to Panel installed?
          Who are installing these extensions? Power user or ordinary user.

Why does Ubuntu feel the need to add the dock and AppIndicator for system tray icons?
          Canonical's decision to flavour their distribution hardly different from vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz
            Mez' Sorry but the strong support from all the major distributors proves you wrong. But thanks for sharing your opinion anyway..
            From the few that still have Gnome as their primary DE, only a couple of them ship Vanilla Gnome. And no real big player. Ubuntu doesn't.

Fedora does but it is nowhere near its popularity of 15 years ago in terms of "market" penetration so it's basically insignificant and we can safely disregard it.

That doesn't leave many distros with a decent userbase actually trusting Gnome the way it was designed.

Comment

Yes, Gnome is so popular that we have Mint and Mate. I've tried vanilla gnome many times and always dump it because the desktop acts so quirky and flaky.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
                It's still a wreck.
                On a RX 5700 with 8GBs of VRAM I had to scale a wallpaper down to 2560x1440 (native target monitor resolution) to bring VRAM utilization down, and only then noticed less microstuttering in some games, all the rest being equal. Default Pop!_OS wallpapers go up to 4K and GNOME then stores them in VRAM at their original resolution, uncompressed, using 32 bits per pixel. No wonder it is totally unusable on low-end hardware with integrated graphics (tablets, cheap laptops...).
                What do you mean by "VRAM utilization"? I have an RX5700 and two 2560x1440 displays attached. Both with the (in)famous Mojave wallpapers that come with in 5120x2880 sizes. My VRAM usage with normal desktop work sits somewhere below 1GB and according to MangoHUD I have never come close to an 8GB VRAM usage in ANY of my games.

Comment

Every time I read news related to GNOME, I know the comments section is going to be full of trolls.
                  So let me state the obvious:
                  • The new Activities view has nothing to do with Apple or macOS.
                  • I use vanilla GNOME since 3.8, coming from an OpenBox + tint2 + PCManFM configuration. I like its minimalism and the fact it doesn't "get in the way"
                  • It doesn't feel heavy or clunky at all. In fact it's pretty stable by the time Fedora ships it.
                  • Some users should stick with CDE or GNUStep and be happy with their 1993 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                    Mez' Sure disregard whatever facts you want. It’s not like anyone cares about your opinion anyway And don’t expect anyone to waste time discussing such poor trolling.

Fact is that the distributors just use GNOME, including its powerful and flexible theming and extension options.
                    Your facts are not facts and I just gave you some clues on the why. You're a fanboy troll, so not much of what you say has any value. You're in your little pink world, fed by Red Hat little dream pills. Far away from reality.

Fact is less distros than before use Gnome as their main DE, and when they do or it comes as a variant they don't use it vanilla. Theming only means it's already not vanilla (user themes extension), which means Pop!_OS is out for example.

Distros are a lot about visual identity (green for Manjaro or OpenSuSe, etc...) and the rest is package management. I believe Fedora doesn't have much personality anymore, it has become rather dull without any kind of visual identity and that's obviously not what users want since it has become a second level distro. In fact, in recent years, I haven't seen one single distro growing popularity or usage while using Gnome 3, except maybe Pop! Os (which gained traction but little usage). Fedora was popular back in 2005 because it had some distinct identity. Now it just looks like a sandbox experiment. That's not what users want. They want polish, identity. Hence the substantial dip in usage.

Vanilla Gnome just plainly gets in the way, that's why almost no distro makes use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

What do you mean by "VRAM utilization"? I have an RX5700 and two 2560x1440 displays attached. Both with the (in)famous Mojave wallpapers that come with in 5120x2880 sizes. My VRAM usage with normal desktop work sits somewhere below 1GB and according to MangoHUD I have never come close to an 8GB VRAM usage in ANY of my games.
                      As reported by radeontop under "VRAM". I don't come close to 8GB in many games either, but having less of it consumed by GNOME leads to less stuttering. It's totally perceivable, not sure about measurable. I don't know what's happening inside the GPU; might it be a "GTX 970 case" with partitioned RAM?

I suggest you try the same. I wanted to keep using one of Pop!_OS' default wallpapers, so I cropped it and then scaled it with GIMP 2.10. Make it fit into the correct screen ratio with "Image > Canvas Size..." and set the resolution accordingly (not needed in your case, but mine was 16:10 IIRC). Then scale it down with "Image > Scale Image...".

Or try this to have no wallpaper (solid black background):
                      gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri ""

while you have a terminal with radeontop open. Wait several seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X