X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by Beherit View Post
    I still can't use Wayland and compile a kernel or do anything else that taxes all CPU cores 100% whilst trying to multitask.
    ​​​Playing music stutters, the mouse pointer and keyboard lags and freezes.. I don't have any issues like this with X11 and Proton, only with Wayland.
    Yup, Waylands biggest flaw... Flame me all you guys want, but X works and Wayland doesn't. Those guys implemented 3d compositing on X11 and then when they finally got it working right they must've thought, "this is easy... Lets force every window manager to do this over again" Wayland is just stupid, it's fucking retarded. The scope is stupidly narrow.

Leave a comment:

• Beherit
    replied
    I still can't use Wayland and compile a kernel or do anything else that taxes all CPU cores 100% whilst trying to multitask.
    ​​​Playing music stutters, the mouse pointer and keyboard lags and freezes.. I don't have any issues like this with X11 and Proton, only with Wayland.

Leave a comment:

• JackLilhammers
    replied
    As a Kde fan, I really wonder who cares about Bigscreen...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Wayland support stabilized? What KDE are you looking at? My KDE only has Wayland support in "tech preview", according to ngraham
    Great strides have been made (and that includes running Wayland on top of Nvidia's drivers: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland/Nvidia), but the thing is still way too easy to mess up. Hopefully you can (rightly) use that title this time next year.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Plasma Bigscreen is cool in therory but in practice it just feels like cancer. the "apps" aren't very good at all, the UI at a glance is fine, but thats about all it has going for it. it doesn't even have proper settings app.

just looking at commit history doesn't give a good feel eithet, it seems to be on maintenance mode.

at this point id settle for anbox and an app to launch TV apps...

Leave a comment:

• tornado99
    replied
    I would disagree with Wayland being usable on a day-to-day basis. I'm driving an external monitor from a closed laptop and:
    • waking from sleep hangs the desktop requiring a hard reset
    • problems with windows being sent to the inactive laptop screen
    • font management app non functional
    • pamac drops back to no theme and no anti-aliasing
    • many gtk apps can't read font dpi and anti-aliasing settings correctly
    • switching user often crashes requiring hard reset
    • blur effect doesn't work on startup without toggling it off/on
    • gwenview, kmag, kcolorchooser non functional
    All of the above are non-existent under X.

The positive is that my laptop with its weak mobile CPU absolutely flies under Wayland. Everything feels instantaneous and super-responsive. Most of the time I even forget I'm not at my 8 core i7 desktop. Amazing.

Leave a comment:

• KDE Saw Its Wayland Support Stabilize Nicely In 2020, Much Polishing Throughout

Phoronix: KDE Saw Its Wayland Support Stabilize Nicely In 2020, Much Polishing Throughout

KDE had a very eventful year even with the pandemic where it saw its Wayland support come together quite well that it's usable on a day-to-day basis, KWin has been seeing some renewed attention, and there was much application work as well as fixes and polishing throughout the massive KDE ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X