KDE Saw Its Wayland Support Stabilize Nicely In 2020, Much Polishing Throughout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
    I'm back to using Plasma Wayland on my Intel laptop. On my AMD desktop, however, with the latest version my web browser looked blurry because of the scaling which works fine on the X11 session. I need the scaling otherwise text is too small on my 200 PPI display, so kind of a dealbreaker.
    Just put scaling to 100%, and use force font dpi setting it to 1.25x or 1.5x your real dpi. The first time I did this it hard-crashed Wayland but it did retain the setting on reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

That depends on who you ask, but PlasmaBigscreen is effectivly just a friendly shell based on plasma nano, so you can install it on whatever. But the screen tearing on raspberry pi isnt that bad if you use manjaro in my experience
      I'll give it a try, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post

You do realise X.org is already deprecated and on life support don't you? In fact the only significant developer time on X is being spent on Xwayland. There's no future on X11.

In any case, forking kwin to a x11-only version won't delete it from the internet and suddenly make it unavailable.
        I realize... I realize how utterly dumb it is...

EDIT: It's like an old car that needs repaired, but instead it was traded in for heely's. It was traded in for something totally inadequate in almost every possibly imaginable metric.

There's a reason why developing compositing for X11 was hard and it's the same reason why desktop environment devs have taken thirteen years to accomplish the barest minimum possible... Meanwhile X11 has been -abandoned- yet still works for almost all people and Wayland has nearly complete developer attention and works for almost no people.

EDIT: Is this the twilight zone? Since when did abandoning a feature complete framework for one that will never be capable of the same features become a good idea?
        Last edited by duby229; 30 December 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

You do realise X.org is already deprecated and on life support don't you? In fact the only significant developer time on X is being spent on Xwayland. There's no future on X11.
          There may be no future on X, but the present is X for everybody, save for select few configurations that can run Wayland successfully or users that don't do much with it.

In any case, forking kwin to a x11-only version won't delete it from the internet and suddenly make it unavailable.
          Forking would create a new product almost from scratch, while the devs (sanely) opted to offer the same experience on both backends until X truly becomes as deprecated as you think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
            and anyone can contribute: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved
            Yeah, yeah, yeah. Meanwhile bugs that I reported more than 2 months ago aren't even confirmed, much less worked on. For bonus points, one of them has even gotten worse. When I hovered the mouse over the Application Menu, the first menu that popped up was shown for all menus that I hovered after that. Now it does the same, but the main menu is not a menu anymore, it's solid black.

So you see, not anyone can contribute, but only those that can program C++ or QML.
            Last edited by bug77; 31 December 2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I think the longer people keep pushing for Wayland the worse off Linux on the Desktop will be. I never said X11 doesn't need replaced, I just said Wayland isn't the one. I really don't think it's possible to replace X11 with Wayland for a vast majority of use cases. Gnome Wayland is useful for single purpose interfaces and I think that's about as far as any desktop environment will ever be capable of achieving with Wayland.

It's waaay past time for somebody to think up a better paradigm....

Comment

Notwithstanding the current bugs, I find my desktop so much more fluid in Wayland than under X. It's probably not something that you could show in any benchmark or quantify, but somehow just pressing a button and seeing it respond/animate feels more solid.

Perhaps it's because I'm from a OS-X background where every window was double-buffered, but having everything so responsive, and menus appear instantly following a mouse click is a definite upgrade compared to X.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  I think the longer people keep pushing for Wayland the worse off Linux on the Desktop will be. I never said X11 doesn't need replaced, I just said Wayland isn't the one. I really don't think it's possible to replace X11 with Wayland for a vast majority of use cases. Gnome Wayland is useful for single purpose interfaces and I think that's about as far as any desktop environment will ever be capable of achieving with Wayland.

It's waaay past time for somebody to think up a better paradigm....
                  Dumbing things down seems to be all the rage these days, so you never know...

But I'm with you, coming up with a new protocol and getting rid of the client/server architecture at the same time is a surefire way to worlds of pain. Which is what we're witnessing right now. Coming up with a new paradigm is easy (you can probably find a dozen of those in the academia without even trying too hard). Getting DEs to implement support for that, on the other hand...

Comment

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
                    Notwithstanding the current bugs, I find my desktop so much more fluid in Wayland than under X. It's probably not something that you could show in any benchmark or quantify, but somehow just pressing a button and seeing it respond/animate feels more solid.

Perhaps it's because I'm from a OS-X background where every window was double-buffered, but having everything so responsive, and menus appear instantly following a mouse click is a definite upgrade compared to X.
                    And that's what the debate all comes down to: users marveling at the tech prowess vs users wanting to get things done. And they're both right.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

> and anyone can contribute: https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved

So you see, not anyone can contribute, but only those that can program C++ or QML.
                      In that link there are written several ways to contribute. As someone wrote: If you can't or won't program, and you haven't enough money to help a contributor, and you won't start a crowdfunding, nor a bug bounty program, etc. then you need to wait for someone else who can and will.

There is a recent Wired article where it's written The open source movement runs on the heroic efforts of not enough people doing too much work. They need help.

Comment

Working...
                      X