No announcement yet.

KDE Saw Its Wayland Support Stabilize Nicely In 2020, Much Polishing Throughout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stable? Are you using the same KDE? Wayland is a mess on KDE and for the first time ever I had to move to Gnome (which never happened before since the days of KDE 2).
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

either they rewrite kwin and some components for Wayland or stop give F about music player or this funny text editor that can support only left to right languages

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
        As a Kde fan, I really wonder who cares about Bigscreen...
        Anyone who wants a legitimate smart TV experience that isn't aids. the options we have are crappy android ones, crappy roku ones, and crappy apple ones. No free software in smart TV land.

Comment

How is the subsurfaces clipping bug? I gave up on them ever fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Anyone who wants a legitimate smart TV experience that isn't aids. the options we have are crappy android ones, crappy roku ones, and crappy apple ones. No free software in smart TV land.
            I admin I'm biased, because I haven't had a TV since 2005, but looking for it I see a RPi4 image. Ok, I get it.
            I've to ask, does it work? I mean, the Pi4 has terrible tearing problems related to its drivers. Is it even suitable for a TV?

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

I admin I'm biased, because I haven't had a TV since 2005, but looking for it I see a RPi4 image. Ok, I get it.
              I've to ask, does it work? I mean, the Pi4 has terrible tearing problems related to its drivers. Is it even suitable for a TV?
              That depends on who you ask, but PlasmaBigscreen is effectivly just a friendly shell based on plasma nano, so you can install it on whatever. But the screen tearing on raspberry pi isnt that bad if you use manjaro in my experience

Comment

All the performance and configuration issues you guys are mentioning have zero to do with wayland and all to do with kde's wayland implementation being just shoddy. They should simply fork kwin, put kwin-x11 on life support and let kwin-wayland be stripped clean of old X11 code and laser-focused to function properly as a wayland compositor. This is taking them so long because they're playing an unnecessary game of whack-a-mole where they're being careful of not breaking X11 while ensuring the wayland implementation works.
                Last edited by royce; 30 December 2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Wayland support stabilized? What KDE are you looking at? My KDE only has Wayland support in "tech preview", according to ngraham
                  Great strides have been made (and that includes running Wayland on top of Nvidia's drivers: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland/Nvidia), but the thing is still way too easy to mess up. Hopefully you can (rightly) use that title this time next year.
                  I think Nate means that in this year, a lot of work has been done and today Plasma on Wayland is basically usable. That doesn't mean it's ready, there's still a lot of work to be done, but Plasma was unusable these days last year. Anyone like me who follows its daily development can only be satisfied with the progress. I now use it by default on my Amd notebook, in Tumbleweed, with the full-wayland session, not perfect, but good for basic use. However, I have noticed an acceleration in recent times that bodes well. A greeting.

Comment

I would recommend anyone wanting a good, clean wayland implementation to consider sway. I come from kde 3 and Unity and, while it took me a while to get used to tiling window managers and having to build my ideal desktop off spare parts, it has been well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
                      All the performance and configuration issues you guys are mentioning have zero to do with wayland and all to do with kde's wayland implementation being just shoddy. They should simply fork kwin, put kwin-x11 on life support and let kwin-wayland be stripped clean of old X11 code and laser-focused to function properly as a wayland compositor. This is taking them so long because they're playing an unnecessary game of whack-a-mole where they're being careful of not breaking X11 while ensuring the wayland implementation works.
                      You strip out X11 functionality and then what's left? An empty compositor?

What you just said was deprecate a fully functional window manager in favor of a simplistic one that can't do now and never will what the fully functional one already can.

Comment

Working...
                      X