No announcement yet.

KDE Celebrated Christmas With KIO-FUSE Stable Release, NeoChat Matrix Chat App

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Celebrated Christmas With KIO-FUSE Stable Release, NeoChat Matrix Chat App

Phoronix: KDE Celebrated Christmas With KIO-FUSE Stable Release, NeoChat Matrix Chat App

Even with Christmas week there has been a lot of improvements still happening in the KDE world...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KIO-FUSE released as stable ?
    This is the best Christmas present! :-)
    Thank you very much to all the developers involved!
    I hope so see it integrated in the Linux distros as soon as possible.

Comment

Amazing.

Comment

Can Okular run sandboxed so you can open random PDFs you don't trust?

Do you guys like Matrix? Which chatrooms and which clients do you use? I've only very little used Element, which is the official client, but GNOME have their client called Fractal, but I haven't tried it yet. What do you guys think about Matrix?

Comment

The Dolphin and Krunner improvements are really useful - I definitely applaud them, but how will you survive with:

Dolphin now lets you set its “homepage” to non-local locations including arbitrary KIOSlaves, such as remote://, baloosearch:// and so on

I mean seriously, did you actually use the terms KIOSlaves? OMG, there will be people out for blood for the choice of names. Arbitrary slaves, too - which means that you have taken that privilege away from those who feel/know that they are privileged. How can something be an arbitrary KIOSlave? Do you realize the fallout that will happen?

Seriously, great work. I love plasma - even if it arbitrarily enslave KIOs.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Great progress. I really like KDE and how it keeps a sane and familiar workflow. I just wish they fixed the remaining blockers on Wayland and polished the stable versions a little more.

One bug that particularly makes Wayland unusable is not being able to type accented characters like áẽìôü in any native QT Wayland applications.

I also noticed some bugs on the stable version like the lines underneath titles on the system settings app being misaligned in relation to the sidebar and Dolphin crashing whenever I click on "Apply to All" when merging folders with duplicated files inside.

I should probably file a bug report but i'm lazy 😅. Also some bugs I reported didn't get any feedback, that's a bit demotivating too.
            Last edited by Raploz; 26 December 2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Speaking of KDE, is there a way to stop dolphin from counting the files in directories (when displaying files in detailed view)? Because it makes it slower.

Using Ubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Can Okular run sandboxed so you can open random PDFs you don't trust?
                It's available as a Snap, so yes it can be run sandboxed
                Get the latest version of Okular for Linux - Document Viewer

Comment

KDE Plasma: Ignoring the naysayers, and moving ahead with the most elegant and powerful desktop environment available

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Speaking of KDE, is there a way to stop dolphin from counting the files in directories (when displaying files in detailed view)? Because it makes it slower.
                    If you go into Dolphin Preferences > View Modes > Details tab, you'll see a choice between number of items and size of contents. If you want files to still list their size but folders to be blank you'll need to jump on bugzilla and add a wishlist/feature request for that and try give a convincing reason for another setting.

Alternatively, use the "compact view" mode instead of details. That removes expandable folders and all the extra columns. When you actually care about the other stuff, switch view modes?

The folders btw only list how many child items they have, it doesn't count items in nested folders. As it's only the number of files and not calculating file size (which is another option), I really don't see that being a huge performance issue and if you raise a bug report about it, they'll probably say the same thing.

I suppose you can try time the speed difference between "compact" and "details"(with other columns hidden and expandable folders disabled) to gather some time difference of what "slower" is for you. If it's significant and reproducible it'll probably get investigated. Chances are it's due to something else.

Comment

Working...
                    X