LibreOffice Drops Its Experimental, Buggy VLC Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Setif View Post

You mean market share in Linux world, because Celluloid is only available for Linux and VLC is very popular among Windows users.
    No, I'm talking about MPV as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      What market share? Where is this information from? You have actual stats or pulling figures out of bias/experience? I don't have anything tangible beyond my own social network and I know without having to ask everyone, that the majority would recognize VLC over MPV.
      Any kind of assertion of "market share" of a particular piece of open-source software in the open-source community is basically completely nonsense. Save for maybe browser-gathered data which could identify browser type and OS. You'd need to take a poll, but who's gonna' respond to that poll? People who just happily use VLC without complaint because it does 99% of what they need it to do without issue, or people using esoteric command-line based media players that need to scream how much better it is to everyone they know?

One of the most common issues I see with people deeply invested in the open-source community is that they find certain groups or niches and become so involved in those groups that they tend to forget there is a "rest of the world". So of course if you're only a member of MPV usergroups and forums, eventually it will seem like "everyone" uses MPV.

I generally consider my self pretty tech-savvy (and mildly "with it" with open source stuff), and I've literally never even heard of MPV until today. Usually on the 'net, the two main players people talk about are VLC and MPC-HC. Every distro I've installed (including the SuSE Tumbleweed system I'm currently using) came with VLC.
      Last edited by AmericanLocomotive; 27 December 2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
        the two main players people talk about are VLC and MPC-HC.
        MPV might be popular if you include apps that use it like gnome's video player, but I dont think very many people actually go out of their way to download "MPV" that I know off

Comment

You mean market share in Linux world, because Celluloid is only available for Linux and VLC is very popular among Windows users.
          Nobody I know on Windows uses VLC since the early 2010s.

They either use the bundled Windows Media Player, or for the case of anime lovers, MPC-HC with all the additional codecs bundled by the CCCP project.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Because GStreamer is a fucking mess. Every single decoder and encoder needs to be made available to the framework at compile time, and there is no way to 'add codecs' to it if it wasn't enabled during the build.
            Not true. You can add additional plug-ins just fine. There are external plugins which only need the headers to be available. The problem is only how the source code is organized, i.e. that the modules are built all together.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

Ouch. Who thought that was remotely a good idea?!
              nobody, since it is not true.

Comment

They either use the bundled Windows Media Player, or for the case of anime lovers, MPC-HC with all the additional codecs bundled by the CCCP project.
                I think Windows 10 does not bundle Windows Media Player any more. In my experience, most people use their phone or the browser, but as far as standalone media players on the desktop go, VLC is still very popular.

Comment

MPC-HC is dead since 2017, the only people still using it are people who havent upgraded since then, I also doubt too many people are using windows integrated media player as hevc needed (it may still be the case) an additional codec from the store you need to buy.

VLC still consistently is within top 5 in most top ranking web articles, if not number 1. I have no reason to believe the majority of people will go out of their way to look for a video player that hasn't been updated since 2017 (MPC-HC) mpcbe might be close as it does have a good amount of weekly downloads. MPV has zero legitimatly good guis for windows so I doubt thats a contender.

It's a shame that I still have to install VLC on new pcs, but no other video player has as good versatility or GUI...

Comment

No new (feature) release for VLC since almost three years (02/2018).
                    It's not true. VLC3.x is on LifeSupport, but there's VLC4 in preparation. It has totally new interface and VR support (which all other players on linux simply lacks).

And about GStreamer, it's fedora problem, because of fu*** patents. All this problems existed from beginning in Fedora, long before GStreamer has been created. They affected FFMPEG, MPlayer(MPV is fork of it), XMMS and any other multimedia framework or video/music player available in official fedora repositories couldn't play MP3 and mainstream video codecs, because of patents.
                    lame amd other multimedia packages in official repos, were shims or empty packages, so it was very misleading for users, because they needed to add unoficiial repositories and noty only install, but replace system packages(that existed, but were not-functional intentionally). I stopped using Fedora, because of it and went rolling release distros.
                    Last edited by evil_core; 28 December 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                      Holy Moly. Can we pretty please finally ban some people from this forum for being destructive, disruptive, annoying, overall degrading the quality and not adding anything of worth to individuals or the group as a whole?
                      https://www.phoronix.com/forums/settings/account and at the bottom, there is an ignore list you can customize.

Comment

Working...
                      X